PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Picked up this Jobey for $25 at a antique store in Tampa. Info on the web is super sparse. It does have the push tennon not the “Jobey Link” which from what I can gather, dates it pre 1940’s? Any help on info would be awesome!17327173281732917330173311732717328173291733017331

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This history of Jobey is a moving target. No particular info on this pipe. However, the history, without pegging dates, goes something like this. Jobey started in France, relocated to England, moved to the United States, and then "went home" to France. My one Jobey pipe has France on the stem, but the pipe shop owner who sold it to me thought that probably the rest of the pipe was made in the U.S. era. That the brand has survived all the moves is notable. It sounds like my duty stations in the Navy.

Reactions: kurtbob

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
This history of Jobey is a moving target. No particular info on this pipe. However, the history, without pegging dates, goes something like this. Jobey started in France, relocated to England, moved to the United States, and then "went home" to France. My one Jobey pipe has France on the stem, but the pipe shop owner who sold it to me thought that probably the rest of the pipe was made in the U.S. era. That the brand has survived all the moves is notable. It sounds like my duty stations in the Navy.
Very much appreciate the info! As for the shape what would you call it? Bent squat Dublin or perhaps a sawed off bent horn?:LOL:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I would probably call the pipe a Dublin except for a classic pipe shape done by Sixten Iversson for Stanwell that has been used by them in many different series, a very similar shaping, that the master carver called a pot. To me a pot is usually cylindrical, but if Sixten says it's a pot I guess it's a pot. Does this apply to your pipe? I'm not sure. I think the squatness might make it a pot.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I would probably call the pipe a Dublin except for a classic pipe shape done by Sixten Iversson for Stanwell that has been used by them in many different series, a very similar shaping, that the master carver called a pot. To me a pot is usually cylindrical, but if Sixten says it's a pot I guess it's a pot. Does this apply to your pipe? I'm not sure. I think the squatness might make it a pot.
Fair enough! How does your Joby smoke?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
People in the pipe shop were complementing my Jobey before I'd even paid for it, the customers not the sales people. The finish is partly smooth with some spot "carving," done with a drill I think, but artfully. But as to the smoking, it has a good draw, slightly tight but not restrictive, a sufficient medium bowl with a little depth, and it does a variety of blends with equal satisfaction. The screw-in stem works well and lines up square. I've had it for about ten years, and it looks good with a bit of wear. I was glad to support my local independent pipe shop, and I believe I received my sixty bucks' worth. I'd say this will be a useful pipe for decades on.

Reactions: BROBS and kurtbob

sisyphus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2019
To me a pot is usually cylindrical, but if Sixten says it's a pot I guess it's a pot.

Carver hubris. A pot is a pot, a Dublin is a Dublin. I've known really intelligent men who couldn't spell. Good spelling is no indicator of intelligence. It's like math for some people, they just don't get it. I have also seen pipe makers refer to their pipes as being a shape they aren't. Now they can call their pipe whatever they want, but pipe shape guidelines are pretty clear. An apple is an apple. Calling it a billiard doesn't make it one.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sisyphus, I know what you mean, and there are strong reasons for not stretching the language on pipe shapes or other subjects. My sense of the Sixten nomenclature might recognize that a classic pot is somewhat a truncated billiard. Yes, there should be proportional differences, but they are cylindrical. So perhaps Sixten figured that if you truncate a Dublin you get a variety of the pot shape. Yup, completely arbitrary. But at least the Stanwell design is a different animal from a Dublin per se. However, I admire your being unconvinced. Honors to the old boy, but you don't have to believe a word of it.

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
Funny.... I was researching them tonight myself. Check Pipedia, they have a page or two on it. It was the best explaination I have found yet.
By the way....nice pipe.?

Jef

Reactions: kurtbob
Status
Not open for further replies.