PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Erehwesle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2020
Sylva, NC
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hey friends, been a minute since I've posted last, but been terribly busy.

I am preparing to leave for Georgia on 2/26 to start thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail to Maine. ... should be on the trail for about six months. I am bringing my current favorite pipe, and am about to put in an order to JM Boswell for some tobacco to put in my mail resupply packages.

Weight is obviously an issue, so I plan on only carrying about 2 oz of tobacco at a time, so for variety I'm sending some resupply of different blends ahead. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of blends? It would have to be a good blend for the outdoors and the woods, and a decent one to smoke often as I'll only have one blend at a time...

So these are a couple of my favorites so far

Boswell's Best
C&D Byzantium
C&D Haunted Bookshop
Elizabethan
Prince Albert
C&D Cephasis

So any suggestions for Boswell blends? I'm thinking of buying four blends for my first four resupply boxes, one of which is prolly going to be Boswell's Best as that is a favorite...

Thanks!

TBS

Last edited by a moderator:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hey friends, been a minute since I've posted last, but been terribly busy.

I am preparing to leave for Georgia on 2/26 to start thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail to Maine. ... should be on the trail for about six months. I am bringing my current favorite pipe, and am about to put in an order to JM Boswell for some tobacco to put in my mail resupply packages.

Weight is obviously an issue, so I plan on only carrying about 2 oz of tobacco at a time, so for variety I'm sending some resupply of different blends ahead. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of blends? It would have to be a good blend for the outdoors and the woods, and a decent one to smoke often as I'll only have one blend at a time...

So these are a couple of my favorites so far

Boswell's Best
C&D Byzantium
C&D Haunted Bookshop
Elizabethan
Prince Albert
C&D Cephasis

So any suggestions for Boswell blends? I'm thinking of buying four blends for my first four resupply boxes, one of which is prolly going to be Boswell's Best as that is a favorite...

Thanks!

TBS
no suggestions just jealous.

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
Their blend Private Stock is as good as any, it’s a blend with a rather interesting story, it’s a house-blended VaPer that they let age for 6 months before they put it out for sale.

Reactions: ofafeather

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
+1 on Bear Blend and Northwoods.

Also, don't forget they sell other brands of tobacco there too.

I love the mountains and hope you enjoy your journey. I hope to find time to ride the BRP this summer on one of my Harley's.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
In the 80s we hiked the AT from Georgia to Pine Grove in Pennsylvania. Our time ran out. Should be a great hike. Bear Blend and Northwoods are safe choices. One other middle English blend that I cannot remember is a good choice too. A

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
That sounds really awesome! Best of luck and stay safe. I haven’t tried any of their house blends but as @Cotton1 said they sell other blends too. Ironically I just placed an order with them (my first) just before you posted because they had a few things in stock that are currently hard to find elsewhere. You can also get G&H bulk stuff starting in 1oz packages - perfect if you want to try something.

Reactions: Cotton1

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
The gram counting is overrated. By the time you make it to Mountain Crossings, you’ll be fine. Take 6oz (and resupply with 6oz) because it’s only a douche rocket who doesn’t share on the trail. Hell, throw a few small cobs in your pack so you CAN share. Trust me, the weight is not an issue. There are a few things you won’t mind carrying because of the joy they provide when you make camp for the night.

Some advice.

-Blood Mountain is a breeze.
-Take the approach trail at Springer.
-Expect snow.
-Don’t miss Trail Days.
-Trail magic is real.
-HYOH.

Erehwesle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2020
Sylva, NC
The gram counting is overrated. By the time you make it to Mountain Crossings, you’ll be fine. Take 6oz (and resupply with 6oz) because it’s only a douche rocket who doesn’t share on the trail. Hell, throw a few small cobs in your pack so you CAN share. Trust me, the weight is not an issue. There are a few things you won’t mind carrying because of the joy they provide when you make camp for the night.

Some advice.

-Blood Mountain is a breeze.
-Take the approach trail at Springer.
-Expect snow.
-Don’t miss Trail Days.
-Trail magic is real.
-HYOH.
Thanks man, that's a great suggestion bringing a couple small cobs on the trail. I hiked last year and made it to Erwin before I got off due to covid, so I'm not too concerned about my weight and set up. Blood is no problem. Already did the approach last year, and looking forward to snow in the Smokeys again, just hope there isn't too much mud!

Thanks to all who responded. I think I'm going with Boswell's Best, Northwoods, and Bear Blend, do 6 oz each, and split them up to my resupply drops at Fontana, Hot Springs and Standing Bear.

This is gonna be a great trip.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Thanks man, that's a great suggestion bringing a couple small cobs on the trail. I hiked last year and made it to Erwin before I got off due to covid, so I'm not too concerned about my weight and set up. Blood is no problem. Already did the approach last year, and looking forward to snow in the Smokeys again, just hope there isn't too much mud!

Thanks to all who responded. I think I'm going with Boswell's Best, Northwoods, and Bear Blend, do 6 oz each, and split them up to my resupply drops at Fontana, Hot Springs and Standing Bear.

This is gonna be a great trip.

Erwin is a fun little city.

Take lots of photos and share them here.

HYOH.

Erehwesle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2020
Sylva, NC
So BTW, smoking a lot of Northwoods from Boswell, and I when backpacking carry a cob pike or two so I can share tobacco over the campfire.