Jim's Wilke Rum and Maple, Lizzie Blood Red English Reviews.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Wilke Lizzie Blood Red English:
Full disclosure: I helped in the creation of this blend. The very smoky, woodsy, earthy, musty sweet Cyprian Latakia takes a small lead. The Virginia offers grass and lightly tart and tangy citrus as a support base for the other components. The nutty, earthy, woody, toasty, lightly molasses sweet Tennessee burley is a tad more obvious than the Virginia. The earthy, woody perique is a spicy, raisiny, plumy condiment. The cavendish provides a few sweet honey, vanilla, and caramel notes, though they are very elusive. The blood red orange topping has some richness as it moderately sublimates the tobaccos, and cohesively forms a very consistent sweet, campfire flavor. The strength is a step past the center of mild to medium, while the taste level is a slot past that mark. The nic-hit is a rung below the center of mild to medium. Won’t bite or get harsh, and has no rough spots. Burns cool, clean, and rather smooth at a reasonable rate. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a very pleasant, lightly lingering after taste, and room note. An easy going, all day aromatic English. Three and a half stars out of four.

Wilke Rum and Maple:
The flue cured Virginia provides grass, a little hay, and lightly tart and tangy citrusy with a touch of tangy dark fruit. It’s the lead component. The nutty, woody, earthy, toasty burley is a secondary player. The sugary black cavendish adds a little sweetness. In every rum and maple blend I have ever smoked, the maple is the dominant topping. Not so here, where the rum takes a little of the lead, though here and there, the maple does take a small lead. The interplay of toppings sublimate the tobaccos without totally drawing them out. The strength is a step short of the center of mild to medium. The taste is a slot past that center. The nic-hit is mild. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. No rough spots either. Burns cool, clean and smooth with a fairly consistently deep sweetness from first puff to last. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. The short lived after taste and room notes are very pleasant. The room smell certainly passes the wife test. An easy going all day, comfortable smoke. Four stars out of four.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I’ve been smoking some Wilke 191 the past couple weeks in my search for an aromatic that doesn’t have that chemical note lingering in the background. Got a few other blends from them as well and am very impressed with Pipeworks and Wilke blends so far. These sound like nice additions.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I’ve been smoking some Wilke 191 the past couple weeks in my search for an aromatic that doesn’t have that chemical note lingering in the background. Got a few other blends from them as well and am very impressed with Pipeworks and Wilke blends so far. These sound like nice additions.
I haven't detected a chemical note in any Wilke aro. John doesn't use the regular sources for flavors. For example, he uses genuine Vermont maple. The Blood Red Orange is not artificially made, and neither are the rums he uses.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I haven't detected a chemical note in any Wilke aro. John doesn't use the regular sources for flavors. For example, he uses genuine Vermont maple. The Blood Red Orange is not artificially made, and neither are the rums he uses.

That has been my experience as well, and a good part of why I’ve been so impressed with their blends I’ve tried. I also appreciate that the toppings seem complementary to the natural flavors of the tobacco rather than overwhelming them.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Last time I put an order into Wilke I made a 50/50 mix of Rumcake and Vermont Maple Cavendish that I really enjoyed. I wonder if R&M is exactly that or a new blend entirely
It does sound similar, but the tobaccos in this new version are different.

Reactions: John Brandt

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
That has been my experience as well, and a good part of why I’ve been so impressed with their blends I’ve tried. I also appreciate that the toppings seem complementary to the natural flavors of the tobacco rather than overwhelming them.
He also seems to use a fairly light hand dressing those blends, too, which makes them easy to smoke (little drying time is needed, in general - sometimes, not even necessary).

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
I miss their Nut Brown Burley. It took me a little longer to learn how to smoke it. I usually don't have much of a learning curve for burley.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I get that many flavor notes out of one of those blends, or any other blend, I'm quitting for the day! That maple and rum sounds really good, with the four out of four.