Jim's Watch City Simply VOriental Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Full disclosure: I had an advisory hand in the development of this blend, but it is Ernie’s creation. The very floral, fragrant, zesty Macedonian Prilep provides a lot of earth, wood, herbs, vegetation, tingly spices, mild sweetness, a fair amount of dry sourness, and light bitterness and smoke as the lead component. The mature, fermented red Virginias offer tangy ripe dark fruit, earth, wood, bread, sugar, lightly tart and tangy citrus, a few blades of grass, a pinch of spice and a small vinegar note. The stoved Virginia is almost as obvious as the red Va. Its aspects include tangy stewed dark fruit, earth, wood, bread, and sugar. These two Virginias are important supporting players. The bright Virginia possesses tart and tangy citrus, plenty of grass, mildly tart lemon, vegetation, sugar, floralness, toast, a couple drops of honey, and very light acidity. It is a couple of notches ahead of the condiment level. The strength, nic-hit and taste levels are a step past the medium mark. It won’t bite or get harsh, and has few rough edges. The spice content has a little potency, so I suggest a casual puffing cadence at best. I also recommend a wide bowl to fully capture all of the nuances and complexities. Burns clean, and fairly cool at a moderate pace with a very consistent, deeply rich, tart and tangy sweet and sour, floral, spicy, savory flavor that extends to pleasantly lingering after taste. The room note is stronger. Barely leaves any dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Not an all day smoke, but it is a filling, repeatable experience during your smoking day. Four stars out of four.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
As always a superlative review. I am always struck by your ability to pick apart the half-dozen tastes that describe a component. I could taste a virginia's interplay with burley, and that with an Oriental, but to say that the virginia had a half-dozen tastes is a level of tasting that I never, ever, reached.

Carry on!

Reactions: chopper and JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
As always a superlative review. I am always struck by your ability to pick apart the half-dozen tastes that describe a component. I could taste a virginia's interplay with burley, and that with an Oriental, but to say that the virginia had a half-dozen tastes is a level of tasting that I never, ever, reached.

Carry on!
Thank you for the very kind words. It took me years to understand tobacco the way I do now. I expect to learn more, too. I think running a restaurant helped me develop my sense of taste. I used to wonder about what I was tasting when I was eating, and would pay attention to the ingredients in the food I cooked. I took that experience into pipe smoking, and it took a long time - along with some help from a couple of blenders - to really get a feel for what I encountered when I smoke a blend.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Thanks for the review Jim. I've been keeping my eye on this blend ever since I saw you post about it a while back. Va/Or are easily what I smoke the most of and I've loved Ernie's blends so far, so it's fair to say I'm a bit excited. Is there anything you can compare it to?

Reactions: JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks for the review Jim. I've been keeping my eye on this blend ever since I saw you post about it a while back. Va/Or are easily what I smoke the most of and I've loved Ernie's blends so far, so it's fair to say I'm a bit excited. Is there anything you can compare it to?
Not really. The supporting players are different than what I have experienced in VaOr blends. As I haven't smoked most of the McClelland Orientals, there could be one there, but somehow I tend to doubt it as the Virginias they used were quite different from anybody else's.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Not really. The supporting players are different than what I have experienced in VaOr blends. As I haven't smoked most of the McClelland Orientals, there could be one there, but somehow I tend to doubt it as the Virginias they used were quite different from anybody else's.
Got ya, now I'm even more eager to try some, thanks again.

Reactions: JimInks
Status
Not open for further replies.