Jim's Watch City Double Barrel Christmas 2020 Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This blend will be available from Ernie on Wednesday.

The mixed Virginia ribbons are cured in Demerara Rum. They comprise half the blend as they barely take the lead. The Virginias provide a big burst of tart and tangy citrus, plenty of grass and toast, some sourly tart lemon and sugar, a little hay and floralness, a mild amount of tangy dark fruit, earth, wood, and light acidity along with a couple pinches of spice. Ernie’s earthy, woody, mildly nutty Original Crumb Cut also has light molasses and cocoa, sugar, smoke, a touch of anise (from a casing), light spice, and a slight floral note. Cured with Jefferson Reserve Bourbon, the OCC is close competitive team player. Infused with a burnt sugar seasoning, the Gawith & Hoggarth Black Cavendish offers a fair amount of brown sugar, earth, wood, light smoke and floral aspects with small hints of leather, sourness and spice, indicating a smidgeon of Cyprian Latakia is present. It’s in the third position. The vibrant Jefferson Reserve Bourbon topping is a step more obvious than the rum with a little malted barley, rye, butterscotch, brown sugar, light spice, and plenty of oak. The lightly savory, middlingly sweet Demerrara Rum makes itself ably known, and its aspects include several spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, and peppers), wood, toast, some creamy, sugary molasses, light vanilla as well as touches of tart lemon and Granny Smith-like apple. These toppings along with the burnt sugar on the black cavendish (which helps creates some spice with the rum) moderately sublimate the tobaccos. They also help structure a rather complex, well balanced, very consistent, deeply rich, creamy sweet and mildly savory, lightly spicy, floral flavor.

The strength and nic-hit are medium. The taste level is a notch past that mark. There’s no chance of bite or harshness, but the spice is slightly tingly. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable rate. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. The pleasantly lingering after taste accurately reflects the flavor. The room note is pleasant, too. Can be an all day smoke for the veteran aro-smoker, and repeatable for the lesser experienced. Four stars out of four.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thank you Mr. Inks for another wonderful review. I've been staring this board down all day since reading that you got it in the mail. Sounds like Ernie knocked another one out of the park.
I thank you. This was very hard for me to do sifting through all the flavors, and doing my best to make sure I was as accurate as I could be. Glad it helps.

Pit&Pipes

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2020
OH-IO
Does anyone know when the new tobacco tends to be up on the website? When I’m in meetings I tend to forget about tobacco until I’m heading out for a bowl-break...LOL

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
This sounds incredible! I've yet to place a watch city order yet but I've been eyeing their blends for the better part of the year. I'm a big fan of the Plum Pudding and Mississippi River barrel aged blends. This blend sounds like it would be in the same vein.

Status
Not open for further replies.