Jim's Sutliff Crumble Kake #3 Barrell Aged Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This goes on sale tonight at Tobacco Pipes.

The matured Virginias provide some tart and tangy citrus, tangy dark fruit, grass/hay, bread, sugar, vegetation, floralness, earth wood, and a touch of spice as the lead components. The mildly rugged burleys offer plenty of earth, wood, nuts, light sugar, molasses, and a hint of cocoa in a strong support role. The sugary black cavendish helps tame a few rough notes, but not all of them as they are minutely present. The rich tart and tangy, lightly spicy, mildly fruity bourbon moderately tones down the tobaccos without drowning them out. The strength is medium. The taste is a step past that mark. The nic-hit is a notch below the strength level. Won’t bite or get harsh. The crumble flakes easily break apart, and need no dry time. Burns cool, clean, and a tad slow with a very consistent tangy sweet and tart sourness, mildly nutty, grassy, lightly spicy flavor that extends to the pleasantly lingering after taste. The room note is a little more potent. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires a few more than an average number of relights. Can be an all day smoke. Three and a half stars.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
This goes on sale tonight at Tobacco Pipes.

The matured Virginias provide some tart and tangy citrus, tangy dark fruit, grass/hay, bread, sugar, vegetation, floralness, earth wood, and a touch of spice as the lead components. The mildly rugged burleys offer plenty of earth, wood, nuts, light sugar, molasses, and a hint of cocoa in a strong support role. The sugary black cavendish helps tame a few rough notes, but not all of them as they are minutely present. The rich tart and tangy, lightly spicy, mildly fruity bourbon moderately tones down the tobaccos without drowning them out. The strength is medium. The taste is a step past that mark. The nic-hit is a notch below the strength level. Won’t bite or get harsh. The crumble flakes easily break apart, and need no dry time. Burns cool, clean, and a tad slow with a very consistent tangy sweet and tart sourness, mildly nutty, grassy, lightly spicy flavor that extends to the pleasantly lingering after taste. The room note is a little more potent. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires a few more than an average number of relights. Can be an all day smoke. Three and a half stars.
Thanks for this. I’ve been struggling to find any info at all on it.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Is this the pre-released sutliff dark Virginia plug you were smoking the other day or something different bro?
Something different. Apparently, for reasons not made clear to me, the Sutliff Black Virginia plug won't be released. I wish it would be. I jarred the rest of the sample I have since more is not coming.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I placed an order for the No. 3 tins this morning. I have the No. 1 and No. 2 in the cellar...couldn't resist keeping the series going. I love the creativity with these barrel-aged blends and hope Sutliff keeps on with them.

Reactions: JimInks and Laurent