Jim's SPC Plum Pudding Special Reserve Flake Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This flake version of Plum Pudding Special reserve is due for an April 30 release.

The smoky, woody, earthy, floral, leathery, musty sweet Cyprian Latakia is the lead component. The sun cured Orientals provide a lot of earth, wood, buttery sweetness and dry sourness, herbs, vegetation, some floralness, smoke, spice, and a slight salt note. They are important supporting players. The fermented black and stoved Virginias offer a burst of stewed and tangy ripe dark fruit, earth, wood, bread, and some sugar, along with mild tart and tangy citrus, grass, and barbecue. They are right on the heels of the Orientals in terms of effect. The earthy, woody, fruity (plums, raisins, and figs), mildly spicy perique continually and noticeably underscores the experience. The spice is a rung more obvious than the other aspects of the perique. The condimental, creamy, sugary black cavendish helps tame potential rough edges, which barely exist in this manufacture. The strength and taste levels are medium. The nic-hit is a step behind them. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. The flakes are moderately moist, but need no dry time, and easily break apart. Exceptionally well balanced, complex and nuanced, it burns cool, clean and a tad slow with a very consistent, deeply rich, creamy tangy, fruity barbecue sweet, smoky, woody, savory flavor all the way to the finish. Leaves little dampness in the bowl. The number of relights depends on how you prepare the flakes, but expect some anyway. The very pleasant after taste lingers a little. The room note is a notch stronger. Can be an all day smoke for the veteran, and easily repeatable for the less experienced. Four stars out of four.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Wasn't sure if this was meant for me, or your wallet because you're going to buy this blend.

It is the flake version of Plum Pudding Special Reserve.

Thanks for the confirmation Jim. I know you mentioned this as the first sentence in your opening post, but due to the extensive review, I thought maybe this blend was a bit different than the original.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Wasn't sure if this was meant for me, or your wallet because you're going to buy this blend.

Thanks for the confirmation Jim. I know you mentioned this as the first sentence in your opening post, but due to the extensive review, I thought maybe this blend was a bit different than the original.
It's different from regular Plum Pudding because some Virginias and the Orientals were switched out to older varietals. That is what the SR Plug was all about, and by extension, the flake as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.