Jim's Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding Bourbon Barrel Aged Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The constituent tobaccos are the same as regular Plum Pudding. The smoky, woodsy, earthy, musty sweet Cyprian Latakia is the lead component that is an occasional team player with the Orientals. The woody, earthy, floral, dry and lightly buttery sweet, spicy Orientals are an important supporting player. The Virginias have a little grass and light citrus along with a bit of earth and some tangy, piquant dark fruit with a touch of “barbecue” as the third star in the firmament. The spicy, raisiny and figgy perique is a minor player that lurks in the background. The unsweetened black cavendish adds some smoothing brown sugar to tame potential rough edges as well as adding a little dimension to the mixture. A pinch or two of gold cavendish adds a touch of toast, though it is often elusive. The nic-hit is in the center of mild to medium. The strength starts a slot below the medium mark, but gathers a little potency by the half way mark, and settles at the medium threshold. The taste is medium at the start, and at the same spot the strength steps up to medium, the taste climbs a rung higher. It won't bite or get harsh, and has no rough edges. It is aged for thirty days in charred oak Kentucky bourbon barrels, a chunk of which is placed in every tin. While the Kentucky bourbon sublimates the varietals to a fair degree, it also synergistically helps form a deeply rich, sweet and mildly savory, complex, consistent flavor from start to finish.
It is an easily broken apart crumble cake that may need a light dry time, depending on your personal preference. It burns cool, clean, and a little slow, and will require a fair amount of relights. It leaves little moisture in the bowl. The pleasant, campfire sweet after taste and room note will linger a mite. This is an aromatic English that can be all day smoke for the veteran as well as the less experienced. Four stars.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Is the Special Reserve finally sold out? Is this a replacement?

Edit: I see SP.com got more supply of the special reserve. How much of this stuff was there?

Thanks for the review. I’m sure I’ll be trying anything naked plum pudding from SPC.

Last edited:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Is the Special Reserve finally sold out? Is this a replacement?

Edit: I see SP.com got more supply of the special reserve. How much of this stuff was there?

Thanks for the review. I’m sure I’ll be trying anything naked plum pudding from SPC.

No idea how much Special Reserve is left. Probably best to stock it while you can.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have an unopened tin of the regular old Plum Pudding that's been aging for a few years, so I will be interested to see how much if any of this complexity and dazzle is represented by that. Maybe no block of barrel stave and a little less flavor virtuosity. Meantime, I did open a tin of Potlatch, and I'll post a few comments on that experience by and by. Great review by jiminks as always. Having such a depth of tobacco experience, he can really suss out the various flavors and attributes.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I'm more curious to see what the price will be. No doubt it will be higher, especially with creeping price increase of SPC blends, especially PP and MR. It's gone up about $5-$6 this year alone for the 8oz tin.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
The constituent tobaccos are the same as regular Plum Pudding...The pleasant, campfire sweet after taste and room note will linger a mite. This is an aromatic English that can be all day smoke for the veteran as well as the less experienced. Four stars.
Jim - damn fine review there sir! You hit the sizzle button square on. Now -- the question is how many tins to get!
;)

Reactions: JimInks
Status
Not open for further replies.