Jim's Seattle Pipe Club Mississippi River Rum Barrel Aged Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The constituent tobaccos are the same as regular Mississippi River. The tangy dark fruity, earthy, woody red Virginia is a team player. The earthy, woody stoved Virginias sport a fermented sugary fruitiness, and compete with the red Virginia for attention. The smoky, musty, woody, earthy sweet Cyprian Latakia has an important support role, though it is close to being a lead ingredient. The perique continuously offers some spice with raisin and fig notes in the background. The earthy, woody, dry, slightly buttery sweet and sour, floral Oriental is also a minor participant, and not always detectable. The strength threshold is almost medium while the taste just hits the medium mark. The nic-hit is in the center of mild to medium. Won’t bite or get harsh, and has no rough edges. It is aged for thirty days in oak rum barrels, a chunk of which is placed in every tin. The rum moderately sublimates the varietals, and conjoins with them to create a deeply rich, sweet, mildly creamy and savory, consistent, complex flavor from start to finish that translates to the lightly lingering after taste. Presented in an easily broken apart crumble cake, it may need a little dry time. It burns cool, clean, and a little slow. Leaves just a little moisture in the bowl. It does require some relights. Has a pleasant room note. This aromatic English can be all day smoke no matter what your level of pipe smoking experience may be. Four stars.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
The special reserve version is a big favorite of mine. How does this compare against it?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The special reserve version is a big favorite of mine. How does this compare against it?

They are different because the base tobaccos is the regular version, not to mention the rum. Think of it as a aromatic version.

Reactions: logs

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Damn, Ive got to try that. I haven’t had Mississippi River in 5 years. There was a Coke note to that one.

Reactions: JimInks

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
:) thanks for this review. Just might have to try this one! Seems unique, are there any comparables out there?

Reactions: JimInks

Enemygod

Lurker
Sep 6, 2019
I am interested in trying both this and the Plum Pudding one you posted about once they are released, but one thing I didn't really get from either of your reviews is if the Rum or Bourbon was present and if so, how it affected the flavor (differences from the non-aged / staved versions). Thanks!

*edit-
Just re-read the review and caught this sentence " The rum moderately sublimates the varietals, and conjoins with them to create a deeply rich, sweet, mildly creamy and savory, consistent, complex flavor from start to finish that translates to the lightly lingering after taste. "

So it sounds like you thought it was a positive addition to the regular version of these.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I am interested in trying both this and the Plum Pudding one you posted about once they are released, but one thing I didn't really get from either of your reviews is if the Rum or Bourbon was present and if so, how it affected the flavor (differences from the non-aged / staved versions). Thanks!

*edit-
Just re-read the review and caught this sentence " The rum moderately sublimates the varietals, and conjoins with them to create a deeply rich, sweet, mildly creamy and savory, consistent, complex flavor from start to finish that translates to the lightly lingering after taste. "

So it sounds like you thought it was a positive addition to the regular version of these.

I think whether it is a positive addition or not is up to the taste buds of the smoker, and whether or not they like those toppings. I did give both blends four stars, which is the highest rating TR allows. I'd say all three versions of these two blends are quality productions, and worth buying. What I can't say is what version you'd like best. That's something only you could determine.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I didn't have so many blends in waiting, including SPC Plum Pudding, I'd order this one. The OP had me at the headline. I have a broad band of tastes, so I would likely appreciate this.

Enemygod

Lurker
Sep 6, 2019
I think whether it is a positive addition or not is up to the taste buds of the smoker, and whether or not they like those toppings. I did give both blends four stars, which is the highest rating TR allows. I'd say all three versions of these two blends are quality productions, and worth buying. What I can't say is what version you'd like best. That's something only you could determine.

Thank you for the additional info and clarification. I guess I was just trying to understand if the blends benefited from this addition in some way or if it was just an easy way for them to sell something new. It sounds like you felt the toppings contributed nicely to the blends.

I have not tried Special Reserve for either of these blends yet, so I'll just get that as well as these Barrel Aged versions once they are released. Thanks for the review!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thank you for the additional info and clarification. I guess I was just trying to understand if the blends benefited from this addition in some way or if it was just an easy way for them to sell something new. It sounds like you felt the toppings contributed nicely to the blends.

I have not tried Special Reserve for either of these blends yet, so I'll just get that as well as these Barrel Aged versions once they are released. Thanks for the review!

I do think they contribute nicely to the blends. Adds another dimension if you like the toppings, which I think are high quality.

Glad my reviews helped you.

Enemygod

Lurker
Sep 6, 2019
Turns out the Plum Pudding is available now on P&C!

Yes! I am waiting for them to add the Mississippi River version before placing an order however. I'll be damned if I have to pay shipping for a separate order!

Status
Not open for further replies.