Jim's Revised Heinrichs Curly Block Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I'm posting my original review followed by my current review of the latest production of Curly Bock since STG now produces it. Mac Baren was the original producer.

The Virginias are very earthy, bready and woody with a fair amount and variety of sweet fermented flavors: brown sugar, tangy dried and ripe dark fruits, light tart and tangy citrus, some floralness and stewed dark fruit as well as a little grass.They are the lead components. The perique is spicy, raisiny, figgy, and plumy with date overtones as a secondary player. The fermentation process enhances the inherent properties of the tobaccos and creates a harmonious mostly smooth, well balanced, deeply rich sweet, floral, spicy flavor from the first puff to the last. The strength and nic-hit are medium. The taste level is a step past the medium mark. No chance of bite or harshness, though it does have a few light rough edges. No dull or weak spots. Curly Block reminds me very much of the Murray’s version of Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls, except that this is sweeter and just a little smoother, with a shade less perique, and slightly higher floral note. Both have a touch of licorice, prune and plum toppings, too. The block (not plug) of tobacco will take some time to slice and prepare to your personal specifications. It’s moist and some may want to dry it first, though I find it works fine as it is, providing it’s packed a little loosely in the bowl. Burns cool, clean and very slow, requires some relights, and leaves very little moisture in the bowl if packed with care, so I suggest a little patience for the full experience of what it has to offer. Though you may have to stir the bottom ten percent just a little if you don’t use a wide bowl, you can smoke it all up. The after taste will pleasantly linger as will the lightly stronger room note. Not an all day smoke, but it is repeatable. Four stars out of four.

As STG has changed the formula, I am posting a review of this version. The fermented Virginias provide a fair amount of tangy ripe dark fruit, a lot of earth, bread, and wood, mild sugar, some stewed dark fruit, mild tart and tangy citrus with some grass, a little floralness, spice, and very light acidity. They are the lead components. The very nutty, earthy, woody, lightly spicy and floral, moderately rugged, bold burley plays a strong support role, though its effect varies at times and virtually equals the Virginias at its peak. The perique is spicy, raisiny, figgy, and plumy with date overtones is a secondary player with a lesser effect than it had in the original production. Has a touch of licorice, prune and plum toppings, though they don’t sublimate the tobaccos. The strength and nic-hit are medium. The taste level is a step stronger. No chance of bite or harshness, and has few rough edges. The block will take some time to slice and prepare to your personal specifications. It’s moist and needs some dry time. Well balanced, it burns cool, clean and slow with a fairly consistent, deeply rich sweet, nutty, floral, spicy flavor that extends to the long lingering, pleasant after taste. The room note is a notch stronger. Requires some relights, and leaves very little moisture in the bowl if packed with care, and dried a mite. Unlike the previous manufacture, this can be an all day smoke. Three and a half stars.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I knew that was coming Jim! I smoked a bowl of it over the weekend that someone kindly sent me. The new stuff seems to be missing something!

Reactions: JimInks

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I am having a hard time getting my head around that you could task 11 or more different flavors in a tobacco. What an amazing palate you have.

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
I purchased some about two months ago ( on your recommendation, thank you ?) that says made in Germany and manufactured by K&K. I might buy some of the new stuff to try. Thanks for updating your review.

Oct 7, 2016
I bought some aged from Dan (oldgeezersmoker) and loved it
I had two rods. Both had stickers indicative of STG, ie, the style of printing /typography that blends like Peterson sport. My best guess is that the recipe change might have happened at a subsequent time when the quantity changed from 250 g to 275g.

As has been extensively discussed by Arno at the Dutch Pipe Smoker blog, and been documented other places also,STG has for some years now had the only equipment on the European continent that can produce rods of that circumference and density.

Reactions: kwg116 and Jwebb90
I purchased some about two months ago ( on your recommendation, thank you ?) that says made in Germany and manufactured by K&K. I might buy some of the new stuff to try. Thanks for updating your review.

The 2 and 1/2 blocks I have state "13.4 domestic 86.6 foreign tobacco Manufactured by Kolhase & Kopp & Co." Then gives their address in Germany. At the bottom it says distributed by Arango Cigar Co. then their address in Northbrook, Ill.

It says at the TOP "Made in Germany" I didn't know that GERMANY grew tobacco.....

EDITED: to correct my mistake of not knowing where it was made.

Regardless, I really like the stuff!

Oct 7, 2016
The 2 and 1/2 blocks I have state "13.4 domestic 86.6 foreign tobacco Manufactured by Kolhase & Kopp & Co." Then gives their address in Germany. At the bottom it says distributed by Arango Cigar Co. then their address in Northbrook, Ill.

It says at the TOP "Made in Germany" I didn't know that GERMANY grew tobacco.....

EDITED: to correct my mistake of not knowing where it was made.

Regardless, I really like the stuff!
Interesting. Wessex Gold Block is a k&k product, too. But it is in fact pressed at STG In Denmark. Contract work is ubiquity in the industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.