PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A friend gifted me a tin of the new Escudo because he and a couple of other friends were upset about the reduction of perique. I decided to totally rewrite my review from scratch, and relate my experiences with the blend through the changes I have noticed during the past quarter century. I also give an update on the current production.

STG Escudo Navy De Luxe mm em mm pt 3
Late 1990s to circa 2005 A.C.Peterson version: The Virginias provided a fair amount of tart and tangy citrus, tangy dark fruit, vegetative grass, bread, sugar, earth, wood, hay, mild foralness, tart lemon, and light spice as the lead components. The spicy, raisiny, plummy, figgy, earthy, woody, moderately sweet perique was a supporting player. Had an obvious prune topping. The strength, nic-hit and taste levels were a notch past the medium mark. Didn’t bite or get harsh. Had a few small rough edges. Burned cool, clean and a tad slow with a very consistent VaPer flavor. It was more citrusy and grassy than the Murray’s Deluxe Navy Rolls at the time, and a couple of step less fuller. Wasn’t an day smoke. Four stars.

Circa 2006-2013: It didn’t change that much. It was a little lighter overall than the A.C. Peterson version with a higher degree of vegetative grass and hay, and a tad less sweet and spicy. The dark fruit, earth, wood, and sugar were mildly lower. The strength, nic-hit and taste levels were medium. The rough edges were slightly higher. Burn rate was the same. Wasn’t an all day smoke. This was a three and a half star experience. Was a little further away from Navy Rolls than before.

2014-2022: This version had a duller Virginia presence using youthful Stokkebye stock with very little dark fruit earth and wood due the the use of lighter Virginias. Was more grassy, too. The perique remained the same with a tad more plummy presence, and that much less spice. It also had a light sour acidity that was never present in earlier manufacturers. The prune topping was lightly weaker. The strength, nic-hit and taste levels were a step below the medium mark. Had a few more rough edges than all previous productions. Burn rate didn’t change. This was a two and a half star blend that I lowered to a two star rating due to the mild, but heightened astringency. Had a smaller similarity to Navy Rolls than what I reported in the second paragraph.

5-16-2023 Update: The citrus level is a little higher now with less tartness. No dark fruit exists here now. Earth and wood are minimally present. The lemon notes have very slightly lessened to mild. It has a little more bread and sugar, and is a touch more floral and spicier. Has a fairly high grass content, though the vegetative aspects are very light. Acidity is very slight. Due to the severe reduction of the perique content, it is a condiment now. Very mild spice, barely has any figs and raisins, and the plum is lightly more obvious than the spice notes, but much less than before. The prune topping is very mild, more so than at any previous time. The strength, nic-hit, and taste levels are a couple of steps below the medium mark now. Rough edges are minimal. Burn rate hasn’t changed. The flavor is less complex than all previous productions although the astringency of the previous Escudo has vanished. It’s an all day smoke now. Two and a half stars upped to three because this is a more pleasant smoke than the 2014-2022 manufacture even if it is different. My current ratings are reflective of the 2023 product.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
This is the only version that I know. I bought some to cellar and age, hoping this will pay off in 3-10-15 years. Assuming that I can keep my hands off of it in the meantime.

Jim did not mention this, but I love the presentation in tin and the coins. It folds so easily to pack a bowl. The room note is decent which matters to most of us with spouses. I also agree with Jim that the burn is really nice, and I can keep it lit while slowly sipping. There are many comparisons to Peterson Navy Rolls and Murray's which Jim addresses, but I find the Escudo to be more pleasant. I have never tried the Murray's that Jim refers to so I have no opinion. As Jim mentions, there is not as much fruit or plum in Escudo as Peterson's, less sweet. I love the clean grassy smell and taste.

This is a great review, and helps to expand my palate and knowledge of tobacco. Thanks @JimInks !!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
bought some to cellar and age, hoping this will pay off in 3-10-15 years. Assuming that I can keep my hands off of it in the meantime.
I hope that this version does that for you. The Escudo I bought in 2013 was like the Portrait of Dorian Gray. After 5 years it hadn't changed much at all. And it certainly didn't develop the wonderful fruitiness of the A&C Petersen version.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
Just a question, I have heard over the last few years about different manufacturers tweaking their blends to reduce the amount of Perique or even trying to substitute the Perique with other types of tobacco.

Is this so that they can save a few bucks? My guess would be yes.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Thank you for keeping these reviews current, but also preserving the history for comparison/edification, Jim.

The only tin of Escudo I've smoked so far has been from 2019. Some tasty smokes but also some so-so smokes, so I'm content to try other blends before opening another tin of it.

Would it be correct to say that the producers have been slowly shifting from red Virginias to bright Virginias? One would think they would be laying on the prune topping to compensate...

This is where it gets "ethically" tricky. If a blend is bought/sold because of it's historical name, and it changes, even maybe for the good (in some's opinions), is it ethical to continue selling it?
The buyer is expecting to smoke something that links him/her to pipesmokers of the past... to taste the same smoke as our forefather smokers... to be a part of this Greater Pipe Smoking community at large.

It is here where I nod kudos to McClellands for just stopping, instead of allowing their blends to continue in some bastardized form. Escudo should have just fallen to the wayside of history, IMO.

While, those who are duped into smoking this newer version of Escudo, may like what they are smoking, it is "ethically" not Escudo. It would be more moral to have rebranded it under a new name.

Folks are still buying this new Three Nuns and trying to link on an aesthetic, spiritual, historical level with CS Lewis and Tolken.

These companies are using the historical significance of a brand to sell a totally new product. I say, let the new product stand on it's own with a new name, brand, and start new links for the future.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
This is where it gets "ethically" tricky. If a blend is bought/sold because of it's historical name, and it changes, even maybe for the good (in some's opinions), is it ethical to continue selling it?
The buyer is expecting to smoke something that links him/her to pipesmokers of the past... to taste the same smoke as our forefather smokers... to be a part of this Greater Pipe Smoking community at large.

It is here where I nod kudos to McClellands for just stopping, instead of allowing their blends to continue in some bastardized form. Escudo should have just fallen to the wayside of history, IMO.

While, those who are duped into smoking this newer version of Escudo, may like what they are smoking, it is "ethically" not Escudo. It would be more moral to have rebranded it under a new name.

Folks are still buying this new Three Nuns and trying to link on an aesthetic, spiritual, historical level with CS Lewis and Tolken.

These companies are using the historical significance of a brand to sell a totally new product. I say, let the new product stand on it's own with a new name, brand, and start new links for the future.
That would probably be more viable if the entire grandfather/derivative/totally new product branch in the US wasn't in place. Considering a grandfathered blend just carries on while a totally new blend would need to go through whatever approvals.....it just makes sense even just from that perspective to keep a label alive for its grandfathered status.

That would probably be more viable if the entire grandfather/derivative/totally new product branch in the US wasn't in place. Considering a grandfathered blend just carries on while a totally new blend would need to go through whatever approvals.....it just makes sense even just from that perspective to keep a label alive for its grandfathered status.
We seem to have lots of new blends hitting the market lately. I have a hard time believing that it is not cost effective in relation to ethics, especially for a huge company like STG, when smaller ones like GLP and C&D are giving us new blends left and right. But, it is merely my opinion.

rick3wood

Might Stick Around
Oct 24, 2022
The Lone Star State
We seem to have lots of new blends hitting the market lately. I have a hard time believing that it is not cost effective in relation to ethics, especially for a huge company like STG, when smaller ones like GLP and C&D are giving us new blends left and right. But, it is merely my opinion.
Cigar manufacturers are the worst , naming their cigars Cohiba,Partagas,Montcrisco etc..

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Cosmic's musings of the ethics of this are definitely worth pondering.

I purchased a tin of 2013-2022 production Escudo Navy De Luxe early on in my pipe smoking renaissance on the promise of all the rave reviews about Escudo. It's a 2018 tin that will hit 5 years old in July. I think this summer is as good a time as any to crack it open finally.

Honestly, I don't care that I've been taken in by a product that is probably not what it was historically, especially considering that it only cost me $9.73 back then, whereas now it costs $16.99 (before any sale percentage taken off). But it's definitely useful to know that what I'll be smoking is some kind of "pale imitation" of what the oldsters considered one of the best blends on the market once upon a time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Capitalism rewards sales and profits and punishes lacks thereof. Changing a product either causes sales and profit to go up, stay the same, or go down. If the change saves money but causes the sales to stay the same or increase, profits go up. And so on.

Nobody in the board room is saying, yes, but is this ethical?

It takes artists like the couple who owned McClelland to have ethical considerations enter into it, and they were a rare breed. The proper businesslike way of going would have been to sell the brand for a lot and not look back.

My guess is that they will do very well for themselves, ethically.

I purchased a tin of 2013-2022 production Escudo Navy De Luxe early on in my pipe smoking renaissance on the promise of all the rave reviews about Escudo. It's a 2018 tin that will hit 5 years old in July. I think this summer is as good a time as any to crack it open finally.

Honestly, I don't care that I've been taken in by a product that is probably not what it was historically, especially considering that it only cost me $9.73 back then, whereas now it costs $16.99 (before any sale percentage taken off). But it's definitely useful to know that what I'll be smoking is some kind of "pale imitation" of what the oldsters considered one of the best blends on the market once upon a time.
It's interesting... If lets say, Astley 109 totally changed, and it has, twice that I can tell, maybe more before I ever tried it. But, Astleys 109 has no deeper historical significance, except that it is named for a pipe shop in England that started giving us overpriced mediocre pipes by the same name. Just IMO... But, it doesn't mean anything if 109 changes, because no one is buying it because of the name. Maybe they buy it because someone the overheard said that it was good... but, not as some sort of higher more spiritual connection with our forefathers. Still, it would have been better ethically to just start a new blend... but it's not "as" unethical as to rely on a name of a higher priced historically significant brand name.

Yeh, capitalism... Corporations have never bought something great, and made it actually better. Check out the documentary on Famous Amos Cookies. That's a sad story for cookie fans and the guy who spent his blood sweat and tears making them.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Like I just posted on the WAYS thread this morning, I purchased a lot of tobacco in 2018. Escudo was one of those blends. I tried it, really liked it and bought a bunch, but I wasn't aware that it was supposedly just a shell of it's former self, not that it mattered since I'd never had any of the former. It's been quite some time since I've popped a tin of it and like yourself, I think I'll dig one out here soon and give it a whirl while I'm currently smoking a jar of 2018 Solani 633, which is wonderful. It'll be interesting to compare the two after each having a 5 year nap. Don't expect a detailed review from me though, as I'm not built to do that.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012

Ernie Q. at Watch City has a lot of integrity. If he can no longer access a particular tobacco in a blend, he discontinues it. He won't pull the wool over the eyes of his customers for the sake of a buck. I can't say the same for K&K.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012

In my opinion, as long as you are happy with what you are smoking, nothing else matters.

Your comments are very valid. In my case, I know some people want to know when a blend has changed, so I update my reviews when possible. I think a historical record is important, especially to those who are used to an earlier version of a blend. When I discover changes in a blend, I have to note it for the accuracy of my reviews. Also, I feel the buying public should know because it may make a difference on how they spend their money. That's a decision they have to make. All I can do is relate my experience with a blend.