PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Just getting started I am building a little cellar of aged tobacco by purchasing from various sources, and some current like The Holly King I’m enjoying at the moment, but mostly it was @jiminks reviews that pointed me in the direction of Wilke and that’s really my focus for sampling and buying tobacco. Great service and great gentleman!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Nat Sherman connection appeals to me. I miss their 536, and will have to smoke my one remaining tin by and by.

GCW

Can't Leave
Nov 17, 2019
Seattle
John told me that he had it in a recipe book of old blends that Nat Sherman used to make in the 1920s. Wilke used to blend for Nat Sherman.

Still curious about the history behind the blend name. I tried researching the term Dehavilind but didn't come up with much (particularly with that spelling). Maybe it was a specific customer at some point in the 20's/30's ?

Reactions: JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Still curious about the history behind the blend name. I tried researching the term Dehavilind but didn't come up with much (particularly with that spelling). Maybe it was a specific customer at some point in the 20's/30's ?
Maybe. I have no ideas about that.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
The Nat Sherman connection appeals to me. I miss their 536, and will have to smoke my one remaining tin by and by.
i think Peter Stokkebye PS306 English Oriental Supreme could be Nat Sherman 536. They share the same components and oddly they share the same description on tobaccoreviews.com, listing said components.

i saw in another thread on here that Lanes HGL was the 536 match but that blend doesnt have orientals and the cut looks different in the picture.

gonna order some PS306 and HGL and try and compare, i have around 8oz of 536 left. ill let you know, would be a huge find as 536 is my favorite english blend.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Wilke Continental was released this past weekend. Here's my review of it.

The musty, salty, sweet Cyprian Latakia provides a wealth of smoke, wood, earth, floralness, and some sourness along with a little spice as the lead component. In an important, competitive support role is the very earthy, woody, floral, vegetative, herbal, moderately buttery sweet and tangy sour, spicy Turkish. The Turkish prevents this blend from being a full fledged Lat-bomb, though it’s very close to being one. Both varietals reduce the grassy, tart and tangy, bready, sugary, vegetative, mildly floral, slightly spicy Virginia to a condiment. The strength and nic-hit are strong. Has a full taste level. No chance of bite or harshness, but it does have a few rough edges. Deeply rich, it burns cool and clean at a reasonable rate with a very consistent zesty sweet and sour, spicy, floral, potently savory campfire flavor that extends to the pleasantly long lingering after taste. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a very pungent room note. Not an all day smoke. Four stars.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus