PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
These three Wilke blends are due to be released very soon. Here are my reviews of them.

Wilke LIPC Dehavilind:
The smoky, woody, earthy, vegetative, leathery, musty, incense-like, mildly sweet, dryly sour Cyprian Latakia is the lead component, comprising at least half the blend. The cube cut white burley provides some nuts, earth, wood, vegetation, floralness, toasted bread, a little dry sourness, light sugar, a slight essence of pine, and a couple pinches of spice as a supporting player. The mildly sugary, creamy sweet black cavendish acts mainly as a smoothing agent. The Virginia offers light grass, tart and tangy citrus, sour lemon, bread, light sugar and floralness along with touches of spice as a condiment. The strength and nic-hit are medium. The taste is a step past the medium mark. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. It does have a few small rough edges. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable rate with a very consistent floral, mildly sweet, spicy, nutty and moderately sour, savory campfire flavor from start to finish. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a pleasant, mildly lingering after taste and room note. Can be an all day smoke for the veteran, and repeatable for the less experienced. Three and a half stars out of four.

Wilke Palmer:
The sweet Maryland burley offers plenty of nuts, earth, wood, toast, light sugar, and molasses. It takes a small lead. The Virginia provides some tart and tangy citrus, grass, sugar, bread, vegetation, light floralness, and a pinch of spice as an important supporting player. The aspects of the perique are a fair amount of spice, earth, wood, and some dried plums. It’s is the third slot, though it has a secondary effect on the proceedings. The very sugary, lightly creamy vanilla sweet Royal Scot cavendish is a notch below the perique. The strength and nic-hit are in the center of mild to medium. The taste is a step past that mark. Won’t bite or get harsh. Well balanced, it burns cool and clean at a slightly fast pace with a very consistent nutty, sugary, mildly spicy, rather smooth flavor that extends to the lightly lingering, pleasant after taste. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires few relights. Has a very pleasant room note. Can be an all day smoke.

Wilke Wall Street:
The perique offers earth, wood, some dried plums, and a fair amount of spice as the lead component. The burleys provide plenty of earth, wood, nuts, some sharp sourness, toast, with a little spice, pine and vegetation, along with hint of molasses, and a small floral note as a supporting player. The strength, nic-hit and taste levels are a couple of steps past the medium mark. The taste is a notch past that level. There’s no chance of bite or harshness, but there is a little roughness present which is typical for perique-forward blends. Burns cool, clean, and a tad fast with a very consistent, nutty, spicy, floral, rugged, savory flavor that extends to the mildly lingering, pleasant after taste. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a spicy room note. Not quite an all day smoke, but it is repeatable. Three and a half stars out of four.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Would any of you care to say if Wilke will survive the Tobaccolypse? Isn't most/all of their tobacco their own blends, which is to say they only need to be able to get the components, and that they're not as dependent on others/others' blends?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Would any of you care to say if Wilke will survive the Tobaccolypse? Isn't most/all of their tobacco their own blends, which is to say they only need to be able to get the components, and that they're not as dependent on others/others' blends?
John does sell tins of other blends, e.g., Peterson, Mac Baren, etc. I believe all of his bulk blends are Wilke, so it seems to me that as long as he can get blending tobacco, most of his blends will stay in production, FDA or no FDA.

Johnkelly55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2021
Lancaster, PA
These three Wilke blends are due to be released very soon. Here are my reviews of them.

Wilke LIPC Dehavilind:
The smoky, woody, earthy, vegetative, leathery, musty, incense-like, mildly sweet, dryly sour Cyprian Latakia is the lead component, comprising at least half the blend. The cube cut white burley provides some nuts, earth, wood, vegetation, floralness, toasted bread, a little dry sourness, light sugar, a slight essence of pine, and a couple pinches of spice as a supporting player. The mildly sugary, creamy sweet black cavendish acts mainly as a smoothing agent. The Virginia offers light grass, tart and tangy citrus, sour lemon, bread, light sugar and floralness along with touches of spice as a condiment. The strength and nic-hit are medium. The taste is a step past the medium mark. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. It does have a few small rough edges. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable rate with a very consistent floral, mildly sweet, spicy, nutty and moderately sour, savory campfire flavor from start to finish. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a pleasant, mildly lingering after taste and room note. Can be an all day smoke for the veteran, and repeatable for the less experienced. Three and a half stars out of four.

Wilke Palmer:
The sweet Maryland burley offers plenty of nuts, earth, wood, toast, light sugar, and molasses. It takes a small lead. The Virginia provides some tart and tangy citrus, grass, sugar, bread, vegetation, light floralness, and a pinch of spice as an important supporting player. The aspects of the perique are a fair amount of spice, earth, wood, and some dried plums. It’s is the third slot, though it has a secondary effect on the proceedings. The very sugary, lightly creamy vanilla sweet Royal Scot cavendish is a notch below the perique. The strength and nic-hit are in the center of mild to medium. The taste is a step past that mark. Won’t bite or get harsh. Well balanced, it burns cool and clean at a slightly fast pace with a very consistent nutty, sugary, mildly spicy, rather smooth flavor that extends to the lightly lingering, pleasant after taste. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires few relights. Has a very pleasant room note. Can be an all day smoke.

Wilke Wall Street:
The perique offers earth, wood, some dried plums, and a fair amount of spice as the lead component. The burleys provide plenty of earth, wood, nuts, some sharp sourness, toast, with a little spice, pine and vegetation, along with hint of molasses, and a small floral note as a supporting player. The strength, nic-hit and taste levels are a couple of steps past the medium mark. The taste is a notch past that level. There’s no chance of bite or harshness, but there is a little roughness present which is typical for perique-forward blends. Burns cool, clean, and a tad fast with a very consistent, nutty, spicy, floral, rugged, savory flavor that extends to the mildly lingering, pleasant after taste. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a spicy room note. Not quite an all day smoke, but it is repeatable. Three and a half stars out of four.

Johnkelly55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2021
Lancaster, PA

Wilke LIPC Dehavilind:

Wilke Palmer:

Wilke Wall Street:
Jim,
I just joined the group so apologies for a month late reply. I just received and order from Wilke and I am thrilled. I hadn’t ordered since Carol’s day. It seems even more than well in hand! Someone had said they were a bit tired of the small blenders. But, what do u think? I can think of a few smaller blenders who are just fair. But, Wilke kicks. I loved the 400 and can’t wait to load it up… and always enjoyed Lizzie Blood. How would u rate the three above?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Jim,
I just joined the group so apologies for a month late reply. I just received and order from Wilke and I am thrilled. I hadn’t ordered since Carol’s day. It seems even more than well in hand! Someone had said they were a bit tired of the small blenders. But, what do u think? I can think of a few smaller blenders who are just fair. But, Wilke kicks. I loved the 400 and can’t wait to load it up… and always enjoyed Lizzie Blood. How would u rate the three above?
I gave four stars to Lizzie Blood and No. 400, which is the highest rating one can give at Tobacco Reviews. John Brandt has certainly proved that he's a good, smart blender. Supporting B&M blenders is always an urgent idea. Some house styles will fit your flavor profile and some won't. It's trial and error as always.

Johnkelly55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2021
Lancaster, PA
I gave four stars to Lizzie Blood and No. 400, which is the highest rating one can give at Tobacco Reviews. John Brandt has certainly proved that he's a good, smart blender. Supporting B&M blenders is always an urgent idea. Some house styles will fit your flavor profile and some won't. It's trial and error as always.
I have them both and will light one of them up for my afternoon smoke!
Thanks,
Here's to the Wilke legacy...

Reactions: JimInks

Johnkelly55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2021
Lancaster, PA
I have them both and will light one of them up for my afternoon smoke!
Thanks,
Here's to the Wilke legacy...
Jim,
I am smoking the #400 right now. I am finding it incredibly smooth. The reviews compare it to Nightcap. It has been a while since I have smoked it- five years? But, this is so pleasant. I think it would be an excellent intro for a novice just trying out an English for the first time.
JohnK

Reactions: JimInks