Jim's John Cotton's Double Pressed Latakia Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The smoky, woody, earthy, lightly musty, mildly incense sweet Cyprian Latakia is the lead component. The floral, earthy, woody, herbal, vegetative, dry, sour and lightly buttery sweet, spicy, tangy Orientals play a strong support role. The very nutty, earthy, woody, lightly molasses sweet burley is a secondary star. The red and brighter Virginias provide a lot of tart and tangy dark fruit and citrus, earth, wood, light grass, and a hint of vinegar. They play just below the level of the burley, the red Virginia being little more prominent of the two. The strength and taste levels are a couple of steps short of medium. The nic-hit is a hair past the center of mild to medium. Won’t bite or get harsh, and due to the double pressing, has a lightly fermented, sugar, rather matured quality to it that moderately mellows out the experience. This blend barely has any rough edges due to that. Burns cool, clean and slow no matter how you break up the cake. You may prefer to give it a light dry time, but I did not. The mildly sweet and more savory, spicy, deeply rich, complex, well balanced flavors are very consistent from start to finish, and translate to the lightly lingering campfire after taste. The room note is a tad more pungent than what you taste. Leaves very little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. Can be an all day smoke for any level of smoker. Three and a half stars out of four.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Hmm... Just got a free tin of the Double Pressed Virginia via the P&C buy two SPC get a Double Pressed free offer. Maybe I should have considered the Double Pressed Latakia more...

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
Hmm... Just got a free tin of the Double Pressed Virginia via the P&C buy two SPC get a Double Pressed free offer. Maybe I should have considered the Double Pressed Latakia more...

That’s what enticed me to try it out. I prefer the Sutliff English Crumble Kake for the price, have yet to try the Virginia.

Reactions: kschatey

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Amazing to get so many notes out of each of the constituent tobaccos in the blend, but in a far less precise way, I get the idea. It would take me a year of smoking a blend to get that complete a read-out. It's a real keyboard of flavors without being overbearing, it seems. Fascinating review ... as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.