Jim's John Cotton's Double Pressed Creme Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The Virginias provide a lot of tart and tangy citrus, grass, tart lemon, bread, sugar, wood, earth, light honey, spice, acidity and is fairly floral as the base of the blend. The sugary black cavendish also has a light toasty quality. It plays about the same level as the Virginias do. The creamy vanilla topping mildly sublimates the tobaccos. The strength is a couple of steps past the center of mild to medium. The taste just reaches the medium mark. The nic-hit is in the center of mild to medium. Won’t bite or get harsh, and barely has any rough edges. This is an easily broken apart crumble kake designed to suit your packing preference. It’s mildly moist, but I did not dry it. Burns very cool and clean at a slow pace. It’s richly creamy sweet with light floral, spicy, rugged notes, and has a very consistent fermented, punchy flavor that translates to the pleasantly lingering after taste, and room note. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires some relights. It’s an all day smoke with some depth and body. Three and a half stars out of four.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It's hard to believe this is about a "John Blend". Did the blenders base this off of anything that the people that did the original John Cotton ever did?

Reactions: ofafeather

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks for the review, Jim. Is this tobacco forward or topping-forward?

Also, first time I’ve seen “rugged” as a flavour!
I've used that adjective before when necessary. As for your question, I'd say it splits the difference as it moderately sublimates the tobaccos. The mix of both works well here.

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
JC double Pressed Creme is a fantastic blend! This is the only one from John Cotton I have tried so far but was a bit blown away by how decent this one is. It burns perfect with 1 good light usually enough for the entire bowl, light sweet flavor that is not overpowering but strong enough to know it's there. Good tobacco base as well. The only negative is the price although it does go on sale from time to time which is when I picked this up. Really hope this one will be available for years to come and recommend to anyone that is even slightly interested.

deadidunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2020
Hineston, LA
I enjoy this blend, i like the fact that the vanilla isn't heavily found. It makes for a nice smooth bowl IMO. I'm a fan of the whole JCDP line; they're all champs in my book. The DP Kentucky kick started me heavily into DFK blends; love the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.