Jim's Carolina Red Flake With Perique 2021 Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Val

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2019
The perique is different because it's not the 18 year old perique, which was fruitier and more sugary. The Virginia in the earlier production was a straight red. This is red, orange and a little lemon Va.
Ok Interesting. I utilize your reviews in finding tobaccos I might like and when I first started pipesmoking some years ago they really helped me get along. Still do, haha. This may seem a little nutty but I’ve noticed you sometimes give a 3.5 tobacco four stars and other times you give a 3.5 tobacco three stars on tr. I wonder if this little nuance indicates a slightly higher grade. This years got 4 stars on tr with a 3 1/2 star review while last years you gave 3 stars with a 3 1/2 star review. Am I off base in assuming that little technicality warrants a slightly higher grade? Thanks again Jim, always a pleasure!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Ok Interesting. I utilize your reviews in finding tobaccos I might like and when I first started pipesmoking some years ago they really helped me get along. Still do, haha. This may seem a little nutty but I’ve noticed you sometimes give a 3.5 tobacco four stars and other times you give a 3.5 tobacco three stars on tr. I wonder if this little nuance indicates a slightly higher grade. This years got 4 stars on tr with a 3 1/2 star review while last years you gave 3 stars with a 3 1/2 star review. Am I off base in assuming that little technicality warrants a slightly higher grade? Thanks again Jim, always a pleasure!
Thank you for the kind words. You answered your own question, btw. I struggled a lot over the ratings of last year's and this year's versions. Ratings are often hard decisions for me, and I wish I didn't have to do them. This year's production got the four stars because it was more complex than last year's, even though last year's had a little deeper flavor. I thought about changing last year's rating more than once to four stars, but left it alone because I thought it more appropriate to go with my initial feeling about it. There have been times when I have changed ratings because I felt the need was too important to let it be as it was.

Val

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2019
Thank you for the kind words. You answered your own question, btw. I struggled a lot over the ratings of last year's and this year's versions. Ratings are often hard decisions for me, and I wish I didn't have to do them. This year's production got the four stars because it was more complex than last year's, even though last year's had a little deeper flavor. I thought about changing last year's rating more than once to four stars, but left it alone because I thought it more appropriate to go with my initial feeling about it. There have been times when I have changed ratings because I felt the need was too important to let it be as it was.
Incredible insight, thank you for taking the time and clarifying! I know I am among many when I say, you are appreciated.

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
Smokingpipes server shit the bed @ 12:00:03. I got as far as entering the quantity, and when clicked on add to cart - TILT.

Got it from another vendor no fuss, no muss. Same price so WTF.
Just got my six pack. That'll hold me. I have too many open tins and six will last me a while since I smoke 1-2 bowls a day. I also had to go with another vendor because of the server issue.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy