PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
It comes out on Friday.

The steamed and toasted three cavendishes are Caribbean cigar, Eastern North Carolina red Virginia and unsweetened Kentucky burley black. Their aspects are fermented tangy dark fruit, earth, wood, peaty vegetation, floralness, leather, herbs, some tart and tangy citrus, grass, sugar, cocoa, espresso-ish coffee with a little cream, spice, nuts, tea, acidity and light roughness. The cigar is the most prominent cavendish. The red Va. is a supporting player. The burley black sits in the third slot. The vanilla, cocoa and caramel toppings are the most obvious in that order, but I sense some tangy citrus added as well. The toppings moderately tone down the tobaccos and help create a very synergistic, well balanced, complex and nuanced creamy sweet, fruity, espresso-ish/coffee, lightly sour, bitter, savory, slightly spicy, floral, flavor that extends to the pleasantly lingering after taste. The room note is a tad stronger. The strength is a step shy of the medium mark. The nic-hit is in the center of mild to medium. The taste level is medium. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. The tobacco is mildly moist and needs no dry time. It burns cool, clean, and slightly slow. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a couple more than an average number of relights. Can be an all day smoke. Four stars.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Thank Jim! The component cavendishes sound interesting and unique. How unique is the blend as a whole? Is there something comparable out there? These limited editions are tough! I was hoping to snag some of this and Uno but with releases coming out at different times and places it’s a bit crazy.

Reactions: kcghost and JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thank Jim! The component cavendishes sound interesting and unique. How unique is the blend as a whole? Is there something comparable out there? These limited editions are tough! I was hoping to snag some of this and Uno but with releases coming out at different times and places it’s a bit crazy.
I would say the Saint Espresso is rather unique. Can't think of another blend like it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can't keep up with all the four-star blends. This is another that sounds superlative. I'm just catching up with some of the standards that have been popular for years. I just popped a tin of SG Squadron Leader, courtesy of a fellow member.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
I wish it would've came out a couple days earlier when I placed my Uno order. SP is very strategic with the timing of these releases...
It's not bad if you're willing to bite the bullet on shipping, if I have things I want or need to order I'll pile them in to hit that free shipping minimum. Otherwise I'm upping an order from $20-30 to $95+ just to save what, $6?

Free shipping is a tool not a goal!

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
It's not bad if you're willing to bite the bullet on shipping, if I have things I want or need to order I'll pile them in to hit that free shipping minimum. Otherwise I'm upping an order from $20-30 to $95+ just to save what, $6?

Free shipping is a tool not a goal!
If obtaining the SP UPS Freeloader badge isn't a top priority then what are you doing in life ?

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Great tin note, coffee and chocolate. Great charring light. Great first quarter to third of the bowl. Flavor decreases from there and becomes harsher and more unpleasant thereafter. Ended up not being a fan and it is not because i am a diehard aro enthusiast and don't like cigars or cigar leaf. To the contrary i like many varieties of each but primarily smoke virginias. Your experience may differ. 2 stars.