PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The woody, earthy, toasty, floral and incense-like, spicy and clove-like, mildly grassy, vegetative, citrus sweet, cigar-ish Indonesian Kasturi is the lead component. The tart and tangy citrusy, grassy, lightly spicy, toasty and floral bright Virginia is a tad more obvious than the tangy ripe dark fruity, bready, earthy, woody, slightly floral red Virginia. They are supporting players. The sugary black cavendish tames some the rough edges as it adds some creamy sweetness. The nutty, woody, earth, floral, spicy, dry, sour and lightly sweet dark fired Kentucky is a condiment. The potent grape and spice toppings have a wine-like essence as they moderately sublimate the tobaccos. The strength is medium, while the taste is a step past that line. The nic-hit is a slot below the strength level. No chance of bite or harshness, and barely has a hint of a rough edge. Well balanced and complex, this blend burns cool and clean at a reasonable rate with a very consistent, deeply rich, spicy sweet, floral and incense-like, lightly savory flavor that translates to the pleasantly lingering after taste and slightly stronger room note. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Despite its depth, punch and body, this aromatic mixture can be an all day smoke for the veteran and easily repeatable for the less experienced. Three and a half stars out of four.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Being a super taster seems to have helped you out with this blend. My palate is so much less well developed, the grape topping just ran over me like a truck. I wrote this on another thread, as my own tribute to your review style:

The grapey, grapity, grapeness of the grape topping takes the lead. The other components are tamed either by the topping, or by my rage at the tin describing the Koolaid flavouring as “tawny.”

In the second half of the bowl, the cigar leaf becomes more prominent, creating an impression similar to a half drank cup of purple Jesus with a cigar butt in it, left on the coffee table at a frat party.

Erehwesle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2020
Sylva, NC
OK, remember how I said I was avoiding aromatics until I got a better handle on some more basic tobacco blends? I totally didn't do that. In my defense, I ALSO said I had a tendency to buy things because they have a cool name... see Haunted Bookshop, so there's that.

So the main thing I get from this is the nose, of grape, a little hint of raisin, and spice. It also has a particularly nice room note to it, it leaves a pleasant smell.

Smoking this seems fuller bodied than either my Haunted Bookstore, Peterson Elizabethan or Prince Albert Blends. It has some dry spicy wood and leather notes, but seems to be rounded out by an overall fruit tone that hovers below the spice, and a sense of sweetness I find really appealing.

I think this is going to be a leisurely afternoon smoke for me, sitting on the porch with my MM Cobbit.

For a tea with this, I definitely broke out a Formosa Oolong. The Formosa Oolong has a slightly spicy characteristic, a full bodied golden liquor, and a smoky finish. I recommend Upton Tea's Formosa Lapsang Sochong, a little smokier than a regular Lapsang with the rounded golden liquor of a Formosan Oolong.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Being a super taster seems to have helped you out with this blend. My palate is so much less well developed, the grape topping just ran over me like a truck. I wrote this on another thread, as my own tribute to your review style:
The grapey, grapity, grapeness of the grape topping takes the lead. The other components are tamed either by the topping, or by my rage at the tin describing the Koolaid flavouring as “tawny.”

In the second half of the bowl, the cigar leaf becomes more prominent, creating an impression similar to a half drank cup of purple Jesus with a cigar butt in it, left on the coffee table at a frat party.

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
This blend is something different and not a typical Grape flavored tobacco. As others have mentioned, it does have more of a Wine vibe mixed with some cereal wheaty notes. Very well done and could understand why some wouldn't care for this blend but I appreciate it's uniqueness.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Happy other folks like it but i found this blend really nauseating. I like some heavily topped/cased blends ( e.g. devil's holiday, creme brulee) but this was too much for me in the the same way that Rattray Exotic passion proved to be ( as opposed to HU Bahia orange which i like a lot). It is not CBG bad but it is in the same neighborhood and, while i tried, it ended up in the bin. I imagine that folks who like it will, like Devil's Holiday, really like it and others not so much. That is not a bad thing.

Reactions: danimalia

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
Putting aside that I always read the name of this in my head as "Visions of Syphilis"... ?

It seems like a love/hate blend and I fine the grape/wine/incense thing very intriguing. I ordered a tin and can't wait to try this one!

• Haha
Reactions: danimalia
Status
Not open for further replies.