PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Occasionally, I have seen some smokers ask about the differences between the four C&D Burley Flake blends, and as I have recently been smoking DF #4, I thought I’d post a thread of all four reviews for interested parties.
C&D Burley Flake #1:

The burleys are bold and rich in flavor, nutty, woody and earthy with a few cocoa and dry notes, and a hint of molasses. The red Virginia is moderately present with earthy and tangy dark fruit almost as a second lead. The perique offers plum, raisin and pepper, the latter being a bit more obvious in a support role. You’ll notice every flavor aspect in virtually every puff. It has a medium nic-hit. Doesn't turn ashy, won't bite, and has no harsh or dull spots. Needs a few relights and leaves just a little moisture in the bowl, but it burns cool and clean with a deep, very consistent, mildly complex taste as it produces lots of smoke. Has a pleasant after taste. Great for smoking outdoors or with tea or coffee. Not an all day smoke.
C&D Burley Flake #2:

The dark and white burleys offer a lot of strength, earth, a little nuttiness, wood and cocoa, with a note or two of coffee, and a hint of sweetness. A slight, dry sharpness from the white burley is also evident in the background. This is not a sweet blend, but what little there is mainly comes from the tangy dark fruity, earthy red Virginia, which is an important minor player. It adds a little balance to the burleys, and tames any potential harsh spots. Burns clean and cool, a little slow with a very consistent flavor, no bite and leaves very little moisture in the bowl. Requires a few relights. It has a medium nic-hit which I seem to notice more at the end rather than the front of the smoke. Has a nice, lingering after taste. Not for a beginner, and certainly not an all day smoke, but experienced smokers may desire more than one bowl a day if it fits their flavor profile.
C&D Burley Flake #3:

I recommend a slow to moderate puffing cadence. It won't hurt to have a little food in your stomach. Do all of that, and you'll be rewarded with a powerhouse burley with all the aspects you've come to expect (a mild sharpness, lots of earth, wood, some dryness, and nuttiness with a little molasses and cocoa), plus a light natural Virginia grass and citrusy sweetness to take the edge off. I think there's more than just a "dash of perique" in this blend, but it really helps make this a smoke worth having. The perique adds a decent spice, plum and raisin hit. Won’t bite, and has a light rough edge. If you've been around burleys for a while and need the big nic-hit, this could be your blend. Burns cool and clean and a little slow, and needs a few relights, but the flavor remains consistent to the finish. Leaves little moisture in the bowl. Has a lingering after taste and stronger room note. Obviously not an all day smoke, but the deep taste may cause you to revisit it sometime during your smoking day.
C&D Burley Flake #4:

The dark and light burleys provide a bit of earth and nuttiness, some wood, light molasses with a touch of cocoa, and very mild dryness with a hint of a rough edge. They are the major components with the Kentucky taking a little of the lead. The smokey, woody, lightly sweet Cyprian latakia is an important condiment. The tangy, dark fruit sweet, earthy red Virginia plays a back up role, adding much of the sweetness that you notice. The strength and taste levels are just past medium, and get a little more potent after the half way point. The nic-hit is just shy of medium. No chance of bite or harshness. Burns cool, clean, and slightly slow with a very consistent, mildly complex, deep flavor from start to finish. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a few relights. Has a pleasant, lightly lingering nutty campfire after taste. Not an all day smoke, but is repeatable for the experienced smoker. Three and a half stars out of four.

May 4, 2015
Consider me an interested party. I've smoked quite a few C&D, but I haven't tried any of the Burley Flakes. This has reminded me to order some!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Kanse, it's totally different. No comparisons to the others, flavor wise.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great rundown on these four similar but distinct blends. Thank you for the brief but enlightening reviews. I have #1 aging. I do love burley, and C&D burley blends, so I expect good things of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.