PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Jim seems like a really straight up great guy. I don't know him and maybe he has some dark secret but I would be genuinely bewildered by that. I don't read his reviews because I really hate spoilers in my tobacco trials (so I read some after I already smoked something). But I got a little sad when I miss read that JimInks was closing. To sound a bit silly I have to say that I think his contribution to our favorite addiction is pretty amazing for an amateur (in the classic sense of the word, someone who does the thing out of love and abiding interest not for self enrichment). I think he has helped open the eyes of a lot of new people about deep a blend can go taste wise and how much variety is out there. When you haven't smoked a good variety of blends you can get the impression pretty quickly looking at a site like Smokingpipes that there are only really four basic options or so. Oh another Virginia Burly blend.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
He’s the Clemente of pipe tobacco reviews!
Thank you for the incredibly wonderful compliment. I wonder if you are aware that Roberto Clemente has been my favorite player and hero ever since I was that six year old boy who saw him play at Forbes Field all those years ago. I have a great photo of him on my wall with a copy of his HoF plaque.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
Thank you for the incredibly wonderful compliment. I wonder if you are aware that Roberto Clemente has been my favorite player and hero ever since I was that six year old boy who saw him play at Forbes Field all those years ago. I have a great photo of him on my wall with a copy of his HoF plaque.
That must have been amazing to see him! Clemente is one of my favorites too.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
That must have been amazing to see him! Clemente is one of my favorites too.
I wore 21 from Little League to High School, adult leagues and semi-pro baseball. I always wore Roberto's number and once had an argument over it with another semi-pro player (who was about twelve years younger than me). He said, "I have ear rings with the number 21. That's my number." I said, "I was wearing 21 before you were born, and you aren't getting that number." He challenged me to a fight: "Winner gets the number." I had him on the floor in five seconds, and he gave in very quickly. We're still buddies after all these years, though.

Once I saw Clemente catch a ball that hit off the bricks at Forbes Field, about 400 feet from home. The runner at second took off, and Clemente threw him out at home plate. Wish I had an arm like that.