PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Back in February, I commissioned another pipe from Jesse Jones. We had actually started talking about it back in October of last year, but he had a long list of commissions to fill. I am working toward a 7 day set of Oval Shank Bent Brandies and did not yet have a smooth one. We decided on a stain and inlay for the pipe and he began working on it. After four failed blocks, he finally hit on number five! A new record for fails for him (the previous record was three). He had to order blocks twice before finding the right one for this pipe. I'll be honest, I was beginning to feel a bit guilty, as every failed block would cut into his profit margin, and was just about to tap out and tell him to just ring blast one for me. Lo' and behold, he texted me photos, not only of the successful smooth pipe, but another he did in what he calls an antique blast! I had traded some pipes for credit with him a while back, so I told him I wanted them both. The smooth is finishing the curing process (for the stain), and I should have both pipes in hand within a week!

Here are some of the fail photos, along with the two pipes I'm getting.
Fail #1

ZCL40QJ.jpg

Fail #2

raXfval.jpg

Fail #3 and #4 - Along with the successful #5

emDXKNZ.jpg

The two winners (almost finished)

wQSbPqX.jpg

2Yg6dps.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nicely proportioned and elegantly finished. Worth the wait, I'd say. That size will get smoked a lot, in my experience.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Jesse is the Real Deal. The whole package. Classic sensibility, tastefully inventive, frighteningly detail-minded, has high "shop & tool aptitude", is bright as hell (you Brits would use the descriptor "clever"), and is a true Old School gentleman of impeccable integrity.
I predict that future PipeWorld discussions will feature his name prominently when the subject is the best pipemakers ever.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
George, I agree wholeheartedly, which is why his are the only pipes I'm buying now. These will make Brandies 3 & 4. I designed the 1st one more than 3 years ago as my idea of the "perfect pipe" in all facets, length, height, inner chamber diameter, shape (except the oval shank. That was Jesse's idea), and finish. The ones that followed, and will follow, vary only in finish, color, and adornments. Only 3 more to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.