PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bigknickers

Lurker
May 26, 2020
England
There I am on the patio, lightly packed new cob in hand, the gentlest of tamps, half a box of matches later, I've given up........every time I sucked the pipe it sucked the flame out, or, the breeze blew the flame out. Gonna get me a lighter!

Reactions: Buckler and Casual

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This wasn't a gale, but a breeze. There are tricks you can use. Use the thick back on a chaise lounge as a windbreak, or part of the nearby structure, or a tree, or a jacket, etc. Wind caps might help. All I'm saying is, if you make a sport of it, you will find you can light a pipe with a match in a wind. Keeping it going is another set of tricks, even if you use a lighter. But it can be done. The bowl will burn faster, so flake/coin/plug/rope may work better as cuts to smoke in a breeze.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Sounds terribly frustrating. I may just be an uncultured brute, but I don't really find much benefit in using matches over a Bic. You can feather the flame from a distance if you want to really take it easy.

Good luck!

Reactions: BROBS and rushx9

bigknickers

Lurker
May 26, 2020
England
Thanks for your help........this pipe smoking lark reminds me of golf.............. massive frustration management, because, one is not allowed to use a larger ball................but one is allowed to use a bic!!

Reactions: BROBS

Buckler

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 25, 2020
NSW, AUSTRALIA
Too funny. I too am brand new but have smoked in a shed each time. But totally get the 'sucking the flame out' thing though. I find that particularly when down to the last 3rd. Hard to see into the bowl and perhaps more focused air moving past the flame then when it is hovering above the bowl at the beginning of a smoke...?

There I am on the patio, lightly packed new cob in hand, the gentlest of tamps, half a box of matches later, I've given up........every time I sucked the pipe it sucked the flame out, or, the breeze blew the flame out. Gonna get me a lighter!

Reactions: bullet08

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
Another thought if its a little windy out pack the pipe and light it indoors (garage, back hallway.....) and then go outside and enjoy. That or a zippo why fight with the wind.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Do your wind training with an inexpensive cob so you can burn up the bowl with impunity.

bigknickers

Lurker
May 26, 2020
England
Wise words MSO..............last night with the lighter got me through a bowl...............whilst burning on side of me cob!!
The real answer of course is to hold the pipe upside down!!

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I have two of the “faux pont” lighters. THey are really made quite well. I have been using for 6 months zero issues. I know they are not 5he real deal and I don’t pretend they are.