PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Samuel Perez

Lurker
Dec 26, 2022
Hey! why do you store tobacco in jars? do you mix blends when doing so? can you open the jars whenever you want? what happens with the tins that make people transfer tobacco from the spot? sorry for all these questions, I seem to be just stuck.

Samuel Perez

Lurker
Dec 26, 2022
I throw out tins. I jar it to keep it from drying out. Smoke it when ever I want then put the top back on it. It'll be smokable for decades. It will weaken though over time.
And for aging? Do you grab tobacco whenever you want from aging jars?

Reactions: Cyxelsid

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
I cellar in half-pint jars. They hold 2 ounces of tobacco. So a half-pound goes in 4 jars so one can be open while the other 3 are untouched.

I try not to open a cellared jar, but that's not a hard and fast rule for me.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
And for aging? Do you grab tobacco whenever you want from aging jars?
Yeah, I treat it like a wine cellar. If I want some I get some, then put the lid back on. If you start to get low then it's up to you. You can fill up a new jar so you don't lose the age on the other. But me, I just dump more into it because I don't care about age. Either way though you won't hurt the age by getting some out and putting the lid back on. Infact burping the jar occasionally is probably good for the tobacco to let the gases out that tobacco naturally produces. At least thats how it os with Cigar humijars.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I cellar in half-pint jars. They hold 2 ounces of tobacco. So a half-pound goes in 4 jars so one can be open while the other 3 are untouched.

I try not to open a cellared jar, but that's not a hard and fast rule for me.
In the cigar world, you are suppose to burp the humijars once or twice a month to release gases from the tobacco. I don't know why that wouldn't apply to pipe tobacco jars, maybe it doesn't.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
In the cigar world, you are suppose to burp the humijars once or twice a month to release gases from the tobacco. I don't know why that wouldn't apply to pipe tobacco jars, maybe it doesn't.
I've read recently that people are starting to do this "jar burping" technique. I'd like to hear more opinions on it, actually

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I've read recently that people are starting to do this "jar burping" technique. I'd like to hear more opinions on it, actually
I smoked cigars for 20 years. Now in pipes I'm seeing 2 different personalities. Seems like cigar smokers baby their stashes more. It may be that the cigar smokers are being to careful. Cigars do cost a lot more but I still wouldn't want to mess up 10 pounds of pipe tobacco. Like you, I'd also like to hear more opinions on this.

Reactions: Briar Tuck
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I've never heard of jar burping for Cigars. Cigars are best stored in something that has some amount of exchange of atmosphere. Storing Cigars in air tight containers can lead to mold.

If you wish to age pipe tobacco, store it in an air tight container such as mylar bags or mason jars. Don't open it until you're ready to smoke it. Opening the container will interrupt the aerobic or anaerobic chemical reactions that cause the tobacco to agree.

Reactions: AppalachianPipe92