PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Well, I just purchased my first pound. Starting to feel like a big boy now!
Old Dark Fired. Damn this stuff is good.
Never jarred this much flake before. I’ll obviously keep some out for consumption so I’m thinking about 12 oz. going to the cellar. Will this fit into a 32 oz. or probably better, two 16 oz. jars?
Should I break up the flakes to fit better or leave them as whole as possible? Thanks.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I keep one pound in two pint jars. You may want to buy another pound, the first pound I bought years ago didn't last long enough to jar.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
didn't last long enough to jar.
Hah... Yeah I’m thinking the same thing. This stuff is really good. Definitely going to be a daily.
Two pint jars sounds good. Thanks Embers.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Very welcome! If you're loving ODF, you may want to give HH Burley Flake and Bold Kentucky a try as well.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
HH Burley Flake already in rotation. Awesome stuff. Bold Kentucky ordered and on the way. Thanks again.
Now to get my big boy pants on and order some XX rope. Next go around for sure.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Definitely going through a burley stage right now. Just cracked a tin of Solani Burley Flake #656. Awesome!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Now to get my big boy pants on and order some XX rope.
Mix that XX 50/50 with ODF. :wink:
200.gif

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Sounds like a great idea. That’s definitely going to happen.
Embers, how do you prep the XX? Never smoked rope before. Found a few different threads but want to know how the Captain smokes it.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I cut it into thin coins with a cigar cutter and from there rub it out or cube cut it. After that I let it dry out overnight.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Congrats on your first bulk cellar purchase and very wise choice! ODF is excellent for a daily smoke and a good one to stock. For ODF I agree that 2 pint jars would be sufficient. I know many already know this, but the size of jar doesn’t matter much for burley flakes. The Tobacco ages fine either tightly packed or loose with extra air. Although a dry pint is techically a dry pound, the pint jar really holds 1/2 pound of tobacco, more if flakes vs ribbon. I personally use 1/2 pint, 8 oz, jars for ODF, simply because I don’t smoke it frequently per week and thus putting it in the smaller jars x4 allows me to dip in batches without opening a 1/2 pound all at once.
30253413173_e420bedb30_c.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Black and brown rope are such different smokes that it's hard to believe that the black is baked brown. Both are very tasty smokes but they have a bit of nicotine:).

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
If it's a pound I would split it into three four ounce lots and put them in pint jars, and put two ounces each into two half pint jars. Personally. Those would be for smoking sooner. I wouldn't use bigger jars unless you're cellaring multiple pounds. The single time I purchase more than a pound I bought some half gallon jars and then eventually I'll split them into smaller jars as I open them.

Status
Not open for further replies.