PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JR McDuff

Lurker
Feb 2, 2021
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I'm new to pipes and not sure how long my tobacco will keep after being put in Mason jars. If I only smoke a couple of times a week will it eventually go bad?
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

JR McDuff

Lurker
Feb 2, 2021
Tobacco, if stored correctly, will outlast your life span. You can read more about here:

Thanks! But if I buy a few tins and open all three of them at the same time, but won't get around to finishing them for a few weeks, how should I store these tobacco's for occasional use, not long term storage?

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
Thanks! But if I buy a few tins and open all three of them at the same time, but won't get around to finishing them for a few weeks, how should I store these tobacco's for occasional use, not long term storage?
I finish blends at a snails pace. When I open a tin I toss it in a mason jar, than I don’t have to worry about it. They’re perfect for short or long term storage.

If you want something fancier and nicer looking you can go with spring top jars. They look nicer, which can be a benefit if you have your stash out on shelf or something. They’re not air tight like mason jars. So they’re only good for short term storage, maybe a month or two, three at most before it will probably start to noticeably dry out. It won’t go “bad” per se, it will just be less than optimal. Maybe a little loss or change in flavor.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I have some open tins that have been cracked for over a year and I had left the tobacco in them, they all have some moisture still in them and very smokeable. I do still use mason jars for long term storage. My experience shows that it lasts quite a while in the tin

jrharrigan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2020
another vote for mason jars. get the 16 oz wide mouth and you will be good to go. each of them can hold about two tins or so. i have tobacco i packed in mason jars 17 years ago that tastes better than it did when i first packed it.

and i bet some of the guys around here will be laughing that i only have 17 year old tobacco at hand.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Another vote for Mason Jars and their longevity.

One quick tip for size choice- and it's not science but just a common practice I've come across which works for me- is to use a 4 to 1 rule of thumb. 4 oz of container for every 1 oz of tobacco. If you have a 2 oz tin use 8 oz jars. 3.75 tins fit nicely in 16 oz jars, etc.

Now there are quite a few that can pack in a heck of a lot more tobacco than this (I think Chasing Embers can defy the fabric of space/time and pack a pound into a 4 oz jar LOL).

But I think it's a good starting point for figuring out shelf space, how many containers you might need as your cellar expands and you determine how much you personally can/want to pack into each jar.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Just my personal preference for smaller amounts that I regularly smoke. I do have some that have been sitting for several years and the tobacco is still fine...

The seals on these are just as good if not better than a mason jar. I used only this type when I first started, but switched to mason jars because they are so much smaller and lighter.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Another vote for Mason Jars and their longevity.

One quick tip for size choice- and it's not science but just a common practice I've come across which works for me- is to use a 4 to 1 rule of thumb. 4 oz of container for every 1 oz of tobacco. If you have a 2 oz tin use 8 oz jars. 3.75 tins fit nicely in 16 oz jars, etc.

Now there are quite a few that can pack in a heck of a lot more tobacco than this (I think Chasing Embers can defy the fabric of space/time and pack a pound into a 4 oz jar LOL).

But I think it's a good starting point for figuring out shelf space, how many containers you might need as your cellar expands and you determine how much you personally can/want to pack into each jar.
I usually fit a pound in 4 pint jars or 8 jelly jars.