PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newportpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2011
Newport Beach, CA
I’ve read somewhere around here about the “less than ideal” seal on square tins.
I have quite a few square tins set aside for ageing/smoking at a later date and now I’m wondering if I should jar them.
Am I paranoid or, is jarring a hedge against disappointing discoveries months and years later? 8O

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It all depends on how long you're hoping to age them. If you're looking at the 1 - 7 year range you're not likely to incur much, if any, loss. Approaching 10 years it can get a little more hit or miss. Hit 20 years and you can toss a coin.
Greg Pease was a big proponent of keeping tobacco in the tin to age, but he's changed his mind about that after experiencing some disappointments in his own cellar, and suggests jarring it as soon as possible so it can age in peace. Another option is to seal your tins in Mylar for long term aging if it's important to keep them in the tin.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The rectangular tin with little rounded corners apparently isn't an ideal shape for remaining sealed through slight temperature and humidity changes over time. A round tin supposedly has a more even stress on the seal and stays sealed better. I haven't jarred any of my tins, round or rectangular, so I hope sable' is right and there is mostly a grace period for the rectangular tins. I've never run into a leaked seal. This is a reason to smoke up my older rectangular tins, or jar them up.

newportpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2011
Newport Beach, CA
If you're looking at the 1 - 7 year range you're not likely to incur much, if any, loss.
This is a reason to smoke up my older rectangular tins, or jar them up.
Most of the tins I’m talking about are dated 2010, 2012, etc. so Mylar or jarring sounds like the best option as I’ll likely enjoy these tins over the next 5-7 years or so. I appreciate all the feedback. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.