18 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes
36 Fresh Brigham Pipes
12 Fresh Chacom Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I put 3-4oz in half pint (8oz) jars. I use these almost exclusively, because 3-4oz is about as much as I want to smoke of a blend, before I am ready for something else, and aged tobacco just goes to crap too quickly after opening the jars to have blends hanging around for longer than I want to smoke it.

I do have a some in quarter oz jars, because they fit an opened tin's worth easily. So, 1.75oz tins will get put into these, but I don't often move tobacco from tins to jars. I'm one of the few that trusts my tin's seals.

TimeKiller

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Texas
I put 3-4oz in half pint (8oz) jars. I use these almost exclusively, because 3-4oz is about as much as I want to smoke of a blend, before I am ready for something else, and aged tobacco just goes to crap too quickly after opening the jars to have blends hanging around for longer than I want to smoke it.
This is exactly what I do for the exact same reasons.

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
As mentioned, it does depend upon the blend. I just loaded up 16 ounces of HH Old Dark Fired Ready Rubbed into three 8 ounce jars. I packed it in but didn't strain myself. So that is over 5 ounces of tobacco in an 8 oz jar. Other blends will cannot be packed so densely but my average seems to be that a certain ounce container can handle half that in tobacco weight.

Reactions: BROBS

BeardonBoards

Lurker
Jan 12, 2021
Cleveland, OH
I think I have managed a little over 3oz in a 8oz jar with coins. I have also managed 10-11oz of ribbon (Dunbar) into a 32 oz jar. Both of these are really packing it in. I prefer to leave more air if possible, but sometimes you don't have the jars to spare.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
This is good to know. Since i'm not that well versed in American, I usually end up converting to metric(as in what the entire rest of the world uses).

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
A jar size "ounce" is short for fluid ounce, a unit of volume, whereas a tobacco ounce is just that, a unit of weight. It happens that 2 ounces of loose tobacco will fit nicely in an 8 fluid ounce jar. The metric equivalent would be 50g of tobacco and a 250ml jar.

2 oz of loose tobacco in a 8 fluid ounce jar is not going to leave you extra space. In fact, you'll probably have to press the tobacco in to get it to fit. Now, if it's a flakes or plugs, you'll be able to get more into the same sized jar.
I fit 3oz in a half pint jar.

Reactions: FurCoat

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
I don't use anything bigger than a pint jar, and even then that's for blends I really enjoy. Otherwise I just cram jelly jars full. That's so I can keep aging while sampling along the way. I cram them full, screw on the top to the upper end of hand tight. Scribble the contents and date on some masking tape and off to the cellar until I think about it again.

Reactions: seanv