PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I recently brought a Kisarai (sp) in a local antique shop and I’m wondering if anyone has actually tried Japanese tobacco? I hear it’s finely cut like hair and is quite harsh. Has anyone tried it with the proper tobacco and is it available in the UK? I use mine for a quick smoke if I’m about to leave the house and don’t have time for a proper bowl. The bamboo stem is beautifully stained with the smoke and I find it perfect for the role I’ve assigned it.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I have my great uncle's kiseru. He lived in southeast Asia from 1920-1945 and I tend to think he smoked opium in his as I also have his little decorative brass box that contained old white residue.:LOL:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I tend to think of those pipes as nicotine and opium delivery systems, but they are beautiful to see and on youTube beautiful to see being made. But smoking them seems to be a different activity that briars and cobs and such. I don't think they support long meditative sessions or all-day smoking in yard work or canoeing. I'm attached to my way of going, but find the Japanese way noteworthy.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It's really hard to get that tobacco outside of Japan. I would love to try it. From what I understand you don't do a full inhale with it more pull it into your throat. Which I've tried with rolling tobacco in another type of pipe and it's really a lot easier to do then you'd think it is. Kind of start inhaling and turn it around hard and fast. Though I'd love to try the real thing but hard to find.

Reactions: Birddog66

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I’m with you on finding the tobacco, very hard to come by over here. I got some Perique the other day and tried a bowl in this. I imagine crack has a similar effect (I inhaled it), not something I’ll be trying again soon. image.jpg

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
As an ex cigarette smoker I find myself inhaling every now and again anyway but I hear Kizami is a real nicbomb. Thanks for replying.

You are welcome. As an ex cigarette smoker I am quite the opposite, I never inhale while smoking a pipe. I have never tried Kizami, but I used to smoke Dokha (Arabian tobacco) in a midwakh, and yes it had hell of a kick.

But smoking them seems to be a different activity that briars and cobs and such. I don't think they support long meditative sessions or all-day smoking in yard work or canoeing.

Exactly

Status
Not open for further replies.