Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I loaded up a bowl of Sutliff Ready Rubbed, and the pipe smokes very well. But the fitment of the stem leaves a little bit to be desired. The shank is a little lopsided, and the draft is at about 10 o’clock. Still, there weren’t many issues with it... A little finagle to get a pipe cleaner to pass, some moisture.

744800AF-42E1-4EFF-B7A6-C88A7A03B24A.jpeg45C38C2A-15BA-48F8-A8EC-2DFF030CC764.jpeg

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I loaded up a bowl of Sutliff Ready Rubbed, and the pipe smokes very well. But the fitment of the stem leaves a little bit to be desired. The shank is a little lopsided, and the draft is at about 10 o’clock. Still, there weren’t many issues with it... A little finagle to get a pipe cleaner to pass, some moisture.

View attachment 57656View attachment 57657
If this had been a Peterson people would have knocked it from here to kingdom come:)

Mark 0092

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2021
Zug
dust off this post to ask you a question.
I have an upshall without a logo, it was given to me as a gift .. a group of 5 ... it should be among the first ever made, do you think? Thank you

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
There's something amiss in that logo stamping...

They didn't mark them with a group size until the beginning of the 1990's. Looks like it may have been graded a Tilshead (a second) in which case the stem would not have been marked with a JU logo. The staining matches the reddish tint that was applied to Tilshead grade pipes.

A Tilshead would not have been stamped "J Upshall". The company was Tilshead Pipe Co. James Upshall was the branding of their top grade pipes.

I suspect that this was a pipe that was made in the late 1990's or after. I have never seen a "J Upshall" stamping on a James Upshall pipe. Pipes that were made in the late 1970's/early 80's were stamped by hand "James Upshall" with an oval border (more like a capsule shape); sometime around 1981 they were stamped with the same stamp, only the impression was deeper, as they began using a stamping machine they got from Sasieni. In late 1983 they began engraving the logo using a Hermes engraver.

The "J Upshall" stamping you see might have been due to some of Moti Ezrati's "underhanded" business practices...

Mark 0092

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2021
Zug
There's something amiss in that logo stamping...

They didn't mark them with a group size until the beginning of the 1990's. Looks like it may have been graded a Tilshead (a second) in which case the stem would not have been marked with a JU logo. The staining matches the reddish tint that was applied to Tilshead grade pipes.

A Tilshead would not have been stamped "J Upshall". The company was Tilshead Pipe Co. James Upshall was the branding of their top grade pipes.

I suspect that this was a pipe that was made in the late 1990's or after. I have never seen a "J Upshall" stamping on a James Upshall pipe. Pipes that were made in the late 1970's/early 80's were stamped by hand "James Upshall" with an oval border (more like a capsule shape); sometime around 1981 they were stamped with the same stamp, only the impression was deeper, as they began using a stamping machine they got from Sasieni. In late 1983 they began engraving the logo using a Hermes engraver.

The "J Upshall" stamping you see might have been due to some of Moti Ezrati's "underhanded" business practices...
thanks for the answer, my friend who gave it to me says he bought it in the early 80s.