PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To box professionally and spectacularly well, and then live to be 95, is astonishing. I salute his bravery and endurance. I hope the second half of his life was even better for him than the first. People always assume that once the fame goes away, so does the joy. Bunk to that. I hope his life was rich and interesting.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Raging Bull is a great film and Mr. LaMotta had a good run. RIP.

It was the surge in boxing movies and Sugar Ray Leonard that influenced me to put on the gloves at 14 and box for four years with the National Golden Gloves. Meeting President Reagan was the highlight. Six broken noses, closed reduction of the nasal passage, four broken metacarpals, and then the 1980 boycott of the Olympics were the low points. Things still rattle when I shake my head to hard, ha ha. LaMatta (or at least De Niro's portrayal of him) was an inspiration. But, Stallone brought boxing to a new level on the screen. Raging Bull is sort of an artsy movie for it's subject matter, IMO.

But, it's sad that so many younger folks don't remember Sugar Ray at all. Ali had so much more media, books, movies... he was a Pop icon. But, Sugar Ray kept it real. He was flamboyant at times, but he always kept it grounded and real.

Jan 8, 2013
Cosmic, the first fights I remember watching with my dad were Sugar Ray Leonard's fights. He's the first fighter to make me a boxing fan. In those days it was all about Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns, Marvelous Marvin Hagler, and Roberto Duran ( I still have yet to watch the movie Hands of Stone about Duran but will soon).
Jake LaMotta at 95. Wow, he lived a long life.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
It took me years to appreciate the movie. I'd never seen animality, especially rage, portrayed in such a visceral manner. Gradually I tuned in to that portrayal, and now I feel it to be a classic.

azpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2015
If I recall, Raging Bull was filmed entirely in black and white...I'll find out on Saturday night.
You are indeed correct.
I used to own the movie on VHS sometime ago. It's been years since I've watched it, but I do recall enjoying the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.