Jacknife Plug or Triple Play. Which Do You Prefer?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

4 Fresh Todd Johnson Pipes
72 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
3 Fresh Ping Zhan Pipes
18 Fresh Mastro Geppetto Pipes
48 Fresh Neerup Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
I broke out some of my 10 year old GL Pease Triple Play, which I haven't tried in some time. I'm anxious to compare this to Jacknife Plug since I don't remember which one I prefer. It is also of similar age. I'm curious how others like these two blends and which you prefer. I know many will say: "Both!" Triple Play has Perique whereas Jacknife Plug does not. Both have Virginia's and Kentucky.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I am smoking a wonderful tin of JackKnife right now, so my answer today is JackKnife. Ask me again next week, and the answer might be Triple Play. I enjoy the Hell out of both. JackKnife for the interplay between the spicy Kentucky and earthy, barely sweet VAs.... Triple Play for its depth and rich, dried fruit flavors. IMO, JackKnife is a touch stronger in nicotine, but Triple Play is plenty stout.

One advantage for Triple Play is that it's not a layered plug. Because JackKnife is layered with the components unmixed (to preserve some of the individual character of the bright VAs, according to GLP), you really have to cut full, top to bottom slices to get the blend right. Which wouldn't be a problem except so much leaf flakes off from the top and bottom of the plugs. I may be anal, but I often find myself slicing an entire tin after opening it to make sure the proportions are right in each smoke. Of course, there is the Ready Rubbed version which is also very good and similar. Triple Play isn't layered with the components in any specific order as far as I can tell, so no problems there.

Status
Not open for further replies.