PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jhe033

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2020
Indiana
I thought I'd post a quick thread about this new beauty I commissioned and received today.

I asked for a sandblast Zulu as it was one of the few shapes I really liked, but didn't own. The communication throughout the process was top notch and the product is just awesome. As you can see I also got a matching tamper which immediately became the nicest one I own.

I'm not exactly sure what color he chose for the stem and the photos may not do it justice, but it's a purple-grey with reds and greens through it and is a great compliment to then Autumn theme I had asked for.

This was my very first commission and I couldn't be more thrilled, so I heartily recommend Jason if you're looking to get a pipe made. Now I just have to decide what to smoke in it.

Attachments

• IMG_0271.jpeg
    IMG_0271.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0272.jpeg
    IMG_0272.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 55

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
That's a nice pipe. I have a chubby author made by him, and it's a great looker and smoker. I highly recommend his pipes.

Reactions: Thepipehunter

cramptholomew

Lurker
Jun 6, 2018
Maryland
www.instagram.com
Very nice, love the inlay! I've always thought of going the commission route but haven't jumped in yet... glad you're happy with it... kind of a blind leap of faith! haha
No more blind than buying a pipe online anywhere else. In fact, you get a say in the result. A commission should be like any project where you work with a craftsman. The pipe maker works with you to flesh out your idea, offers options, opinions, and sends multiple updates along the way. I have had several, included the infamous @chasingembers, who say "I want this one thing. The rest is up to you", and then let me loose. That approach works too, if you like the carver's work, and trust that they will produce something uniquely tailored to you. Mr. Embers and I have worked together enough that I get his aesthetic, and I have a good idea of what he'll appreciate.