PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
On September 11, I placed an order over $125 with Iwan Ries to take advantage of their September sale. When nothing arrived, I phoned the company to find that they had no record of the sale. When I placed the order, the confirmation page came up, but I didn't copy the confirmation number. I never do, but perhaps this would be a good time to start--my bad. The order was placed within my account on the site. I was very disappointed in the approach taken by the person to whom I spoke--no attempt was made to regenerate the sale, no offer to place another order. I was simply told that the order didn't exist and that was all. I sent an email expressing my disappointment. Good customer relations would have been something on the order of: "We're sorry that this happened. Please give me your order again and I'll take care of it." I'll be keeping my eye on prices and will order the merchandise again, but it won't be from Iwan Ries--ever again. You know the old saying: "it takes years to make a customer, and only minutes to lose one. Iwan Ries has lost my business. They won't go broke because of it, but I come from the old school where every customer counts. The real disappointment was that after sending them a very polite email several days ago I didn't even receive the courtesy of a reply. That sort of thing is a "drop dead" response. No doubt many of you who read this are satisfied with their service, as I was until last week, but I felt you should know of my experience.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Eric, that sucks you got dealt that hand of a shitty experience and customer service. Good on you for writing them an email and at least letting them know though. I'm right there with you, i wouldn't give them another dime of my money. I would also do exactly what you did with writing the email. If that didn't work, i would post my experience on every forum i could think of. That is ridiculous and flat out unacceptable as an online retailer...of ANY sort. Very surprised they dealt with you this way with so many other competing pipes and tobacco online retailers. Maybe they think 1 doesn't matter? Oh but how quickly 1 turns into 2 into 5 into 15 and so on...
"it takes years to make a customer, and only minutes to lose one.
-Perfect Summation.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I have never order from Iwan Ries but I considered it a few times. Hearing things like this make me feel iffy.
They said the order didn't go through, did you make sure there was also no charge to your credit card?

CherokeeBilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2014
Granbury, TX
Ive had a similar disappointing customer service experience with Windy City. they showed 2 items as in stock, I ordered them and paid for them. After numerous days with no contact I called them and they told me those items were not in stock but they expected them any day. I promptly canceled my order. That was 3 weeks ago, I sent them an email 4 days ago inquiring if certain items were in fact in stock as shown on the website and told them I would place an order if they could confirm stock. No answer, nothing at all. I have ZERO tolerance for bad customer service. I work hard for my money and will spend it with someone whom has good customer service any day over bad customer service no matter what the item cost is or availability.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
My card wasn't charged, so I'm not out any money--just the disappointment at not being able to take advantage of their sale, and the horrible experience with customer service. The chap to whom I spoke on the phone was totally uncaring, so that only deepened the disappointment, and the failure to respond to an email sort of clinched the deal. I really expected better service from them--and that's really what it's about--service, not money. A business that doesn't look after its customers doesn't deserve to have any. And worse--a business that effectively says "drop dead" to a customer--well, what can be said about that? There were several polite ways this company could have dealt with the matter, and they does not to do any of them. Shame on them--and shame on me if I even think about ordering from them again.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Sorry to read that. I just received my tobacco order four days after ordering. Chicago to Alaska via USPO is the usual service and I'm very happy with it. IRC is my go-to supplier as I go through a lot of "3Star Blue."
If this situation happened to me I would have called Kevin personally. I'm not a fan of e-mail for the reason that the person that needs to see it may not. When I have problems I always try to get my problem in front of the head honcho. Seems to get the fastest and most satisfactory results.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
You know the old saying: "it takes years to make a customer, and only minutes to lose one."
Eric, you have expressed my sentiments exactly!
Very foolish of them. Some companies will spend a fortune to gain one more customer, but not lift a finger to keep one.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Thanks for the heads-up!

I've never ordered from them and most likely never will.

The way P&C, 4Noggins and SmokingPipes has a presence on here is enough to earn my business.

While I would prefer to support local businesses, there are just too few left that understand

what customer service means or realize how much easier it is to shop online.

I remember when sales clerks would hand you back your change and tell you to have a great day.

Now, it's more likely that they'll toss it on the counter and turn their backs.

I didn't realize I had this rant bottled up! Thanks for "uncorking" it! :)

natibo

Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
IR has always struck me as a B&M that went into the online business 1/2 ass. Their store is awesome and any pipe smoker going near Chicago should go. I only buy from them online because it's the only place I can get the Dr. Bradley mixture, which I really like. Although it's made by Sutliff, IR is the only place to purchase it.

apiperisdown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2014
It’s just like your said. A business that doesn't look after its customers doesn't deserve to have any.
I’ve never ordered from them but I’ll certainly look elsewhere to spend my money. Thanks for the information.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
One solution is to not tolerate such behavior. If a clerk simply tossed my change on the counter or stopped to answer a telephone in the middle of a transaction I would summon the manager and give them an earful. I would follow that up with a note or call to the owners or CEO. I will not tolerate being treated indifferently or rudely by a clerk or other minion. My feeling is that to tolerate such behavior is to encourage it. I will not tolerate rude behavior.
That said, I have been a customer of IRC since the early 1970's when I stumbled into the store while attending a course at Northwestern. I've never experienced a less than satisfactory transaction in that time. However, if I had the owner would be the first person I contacted for satisfaction.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
@ Ravkesef,
I tried to place a $170 order online the same day (9/11) to catch their sale. I couldn't complete the payment part because the IR site showed that the UPS site was down. So I called them and made my order over the phone. The next day I emailed them, asking them to show an invoice in my online account for the order. Two days went by with no response, so I emailed them again each of the next two days and still no response. Got my order just fine but I guess the little guys don't mean much to them. I hope someone at IR sees these posts and they wake up. The folks at Smoking Pipes and Pipes & Cigars and 4 Noggins are all very glad to give exceptional service.
tinner :crazy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have to admit, I've had years of good shopping at Iwan Ries, with prompt and accurate service on every order. I also ordered from the

September sale and was getting worried when, though I had received an order number, I never got the usual email indicating the order

had been shipped. I sent them an email, but that same day, the pipe I ordered arrived in the mail, and it was the right pipe, properly

wrapped, and bought at a significant savings. Now, I don't know what to think. I'm sorry to hear of this bad experience, and that others

are abandoning ship on IR as an online retailer. I will likely order from them again, but it sounds like they are having some problems.

I feel loyalty, but also concern. The pipe I ordered, a Johs blast Canadian, is terrific -- light weight but with a fine ample bowl.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
If your credit card wasn't charged, and there is no record of the transaction, what are they supposed to do? That sounds maybe like a user error. I agree that they should've been more forward about righting it once you emailed them, and the service there really depends on who's working that day, but to me that wouldn't be enough reason to stop doing business with the place forever. I'd call and see if you can talk to Chuck or really anyone other than Kevin, who was often brusque when I frequented the place in my Chicago days.
Of course, I haven't done business with the place in years. I've moved away and their website is horrible, and I don't do online business with places with places with horrible websites.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
There was no user error. This was the third time I've ordered from IR. The IR website could not complete the order. When I called them I used my credit card over the phone. I think their customer service was poor.
tinner

adam12

May 16, 2011
An outstanding store with a Chicago attitude - either you get it or you don't - it's the way things are and often times that doesn't translate well to venues other than face-to-face interaction. I am willing to concede them that because I've been doing business with them since the late 1980's, so I'm used to their ways and know them well. And that's coming from a lifelong Southerner.
What is unfortunate is in this day and age, miscommunications like this can get magnified via the internet (with forums like TripAdvisor, Yelp, etc that cater to everyone with an axe to grind), which is something that I don't personally agree with. Those who take stock in such things and refuse to patronize based on one dude's experience, I understand where you're coming from, but it's a small sample size compared to my nearly 25 years of patronizing Iwan Ries without anything but the very best to say. I suppose it's your right to take a complaint public but I will continue to support them and I urge others who have never dealt with them to form their own opinions first-hand. Better yet, when you're at the Chicago Pipe Show, stop by their booth and you'll probably find that what comes across as uncaring or even abrasive over the internet is only "a bunch of guys from Chicago" in person.
If you go to Brooklyn and order from a deli and the clerks don't act like they do in Picayune, Mississippi, does that mean it's poor customer service?

Status
Not open for further replies.