PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sopsac

Lurker
Aug 8, 2018
I notice it being used on some very nice pipes as a decorative accent. What is it, some sort of plastic? Is it stable and safe, or does heat degrade it to any extent? Do you think it belongs on high end pipes?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Is there an online retailer where we can see a pipe with ivorite? It sounds like a simulated ivory. To me, simulated is good, since ivory sales depletes the populations of ivory bearing species, which are almost genetically defunct for reproductive purposes in many instances. I have a faux bone or antler band on a pipe and it looks snappy.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Is there an online retailer where we can see a pipe with ivorite?
Grechukhin Design: Sandblasted Blowfish with Ivorite
002-808-0015.6404.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks Embers! That's an expansive and effective use of the material, with the little red and black accents too. Impressive. No elephants died int he making of this pipe.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Nothing fake belongs on a "high end", however that is defined, pipe! Ivory, silver, gold and like should be the fittings on such, if fittings are used. It's fine a $400.00 dollar pipe I suppose. Still ...

sopsac

Lurker
Aug 8, 2018
Hans Former Nielsen makes some of most amazing pipes I have ever seen, and I notice he uses quite a bit of it (check out SmokingPipes). I just thought it curious that an ivory look-alike would be used that high level of pipemaking.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Honestly I think I would like it better. I have three pipes with ivory and one with a hippo tooth shank accent. Always terrified I might break them.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Since it's illegal to import into the US any item with real ivory in it, not surprising there's a decent substitute. And some folks in this thread have very different ideas as to what is "high end".

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Embers: I speaking to the bling, the decorative stuff which is totally for adornment. For me, Ivorite is a decorative mineral suitable for a pool cue or even a pipe but, I'd pay for ivory and not Ivorite. I'm just wouldn't be happy with it on a high end pipe. While not a shape I like, the above pipe has great lines and the white adds to the appeal. But, I wouldn't classify a $400.00 dollar pipe as "high-end." So, once again we fall into one's definition of "high-end."

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I have an old Stanwell Reg. Number Silhouette billiard with a real ivory band, the factory glue seams are quite visible and my cleaning methods have not been successful. Perhaps the Ivorite product has better wear properties... as well as ethical considerations.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't want to be a wearisome tree hugger, but I would like some of the critters that bear ivory to be around for the great grandchildren generation. What happened to the elephants? Oh, well, we shot them all. Doesn't sound too smart.

Reactions: samanden

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Interestingly enough, I did some research on the Stanwell I mentioned above and it turns out it is mastodon ivory, pretty cool and no animals harmed. I love the Danish.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
So says Smoking Pipes about another model...
This Stanwell pipe has a little bit of history. Produced somewhere in the late 1960's and early 1970's, it sits along side their entrance into the "dress" pipe arena and includes a mastadon ivory ring (which means it pre-dates the CITES agreement of materials). The shape is like a compressed Pot, and the chamber is much like an Opera pipe, being an oval. If you enjoy a bit of history, great Stanwell shaping, unique accents and a vulcanite stem, this may be for you.

ricebiscuit

Lurker
Aug 28, 2018
Fort Worth, Texas
From a pipe makers perspective using real ivory now brings with it problems - Especially for a high end maker selling pipes all over the world. Different countries have different rules on buying and selling items with ivory. Plus With the (relatively) new U.S. rules limiting the sale of ivory or items with ivory, it is easier to avoid the use of real ivory than risk trouble.
The ivorite I have seen is a resin based faux ivory. It looks very close to the real thing. It is sold on Steve's pipe making supply website - https://vermontfreehand.com/product/imitation-ivory/ if you want to take a look at it in rod form.
Save the elephants while still making pipes look good? Win/Win in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.