PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You can buy a Tsuge in that painted motif that is authentic to the Japanese tradition, for a song compared to the asking price on this, which is just a hot-rodded Dunhill. To me, it is worth far less than the mentioned Tsuge. I guess the seller is waiting for someone with hot pockets that knows nothing about pipes. He's out there.

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
The oil from the Japanese lacquer tree is urushiol. Aka same stuff in poison ivy. Now granted, when it cures it’s no longer truly reactive with human skin, but I’d probably not want to go fondling any such thing, especially not for 19k

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Looks like it’s not the pipe itself that’s worth the premium, but rather the artwork and who did it. Here’s an Alfred Dunhill/Namiki limited edition pen decorated by the same artist, which is listed for $350,000:

...and just to add my $0.02 of knowledge to the pile, the surface is first layered in gold foil, usually 22k or 24k, And gold foil is a pain in the ass to apply by hand. And then the resins are added in thin layers on top of that, so that when the light hits it, you are seeing the reflections of the gold shining through the surface of the resins, making it glow, almost supernaturally. It is 200x's more impressive to see in person than a picture.

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
I'm guessing that anyone that can afford to buy this, will also be the person to spend $500 for a consignment tin of pipe tobacco to smoke in their new acquisition. Seriously though, I think this pipe has been on eBay for a really long time.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
...and just to add my $0.02 of knowledge to the pile, the surface is first layered in gold foil, usually 22k or 24k, And gold foil is a pain in the ass to apply by hand. And then the resins are added in thin layers on top of that, so that when the light hits it, you are seeing the reflections of the gold shining through the surface of the resins, making it glow, almost supernaturally. It is 200x's more impressive to see in person than a picture.
Thank you. It’s an amazing artistic process, though apparently not a hot combo on the pipe market.

Thank you. It’s an amazing artistic process, though apparently not a hot combo on the pipe market.
Yeh... I imagine it is a niche market. Sort of like my sterling silver pipe tampers. I think people like to look at them, but paying $100 for a tamper is generally out of the question for most pipesmokers.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Yeh... I imagine it is a niche market. Sort of like my sterling silver pipe tampers. I think people like to look at them, but paying $100 for a tamper is generally out of the question for most pipesmokers.
This is off topic, so apologies, but I inherited a couple of Tiffany tampers done in sterling. If I had some pocket money I wouldn’t bat an eye.

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Reactions: BROBS

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
If you prefer a new one for the same price, this one comes with a taper and a book in a carefully designed box. I's presented like a magic show. (s. the video).

Status
Not open for further replies.