PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
Ok so I guess there is a first time for everything, but I've gone and broke one of my favorite pipe stems. A pipe cleaner was getting hard to pass right at the bit, so I figured I would get my pipe tool hot and force the opening up by using a little heat. I guess I may have gotten a little over zelus in my attempt and wasnt patient enough, and now I've got a huge crack right on the bit on both sides. Does anyone know a way to fix this? I figured maybe a little heat might melt things back together but I fear if I try I may mess it up even more. Anyone got any recommendations or help?

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
1-A527-AS01.jpg

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Buy the pipe again? You might be able to contact a shop or the manufacturer about trying to get a replacement stem. I’ve got an old estate pipe that I do not believe has it’s original stem

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
It's an estate in which I can not find any information about. I got it at an antique shop and the only marking on it says "Leonardo" and "Italy". I've had it for a while but only recently found blends that sing in it. I guess I'll keep looking and if I have to find someone who can craft me a replacement

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Post a picture if you can. We have had good luck mixing activated charcoal (to match the black stems) and clear acrylic epoxy to restore stems. I believe they make a black epoxy so you can skip the charcoal step and fill in the cracks. Then sand and buff it back to its original shine and away you go!

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Yep, that's broken...

Not sure if epoxy or cyanoacrylate (aka Crazy Glue or Super Glue) would work. If not, either send it out for a new stem, or try a rubber bit cover (aka Softy Bit).

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
I agree with the suggestion above -- contact briarville.com. I think they charge about $30 for a replacement stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.