PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailortodd

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2011
I was out enjoying a pipe while some of my shipmates were smoking cigars the other night, and it garnered more than the usual passing interest by one of them. I let him have a couple draws from the pipe (Samuel Gawith Navy Flake in this case), and he instantly loved it. After some talking, he was asking where to get a good, inexpensive starter pipe, and we discussed the merits of starting with a cob or getting a moderately priced briar to start. He asked if I had a cob I'd sell him while he shopped around and waited for a new pipe to arrive, and I just so happened to have a cob I'm more than willing to part with (and explained to him why - it's a filtered MM that I don't use filters with, so I regularly get burning embers in the back of the throat - he was willing to put up with that until he could get a better one).
Today I gave him the cob and a small amount of Lane Burley-Light-w/o-Bite that was gifted to me some time ago, and showed him how to pack and light it. I had my own pipe loaded with some of my recent favorite, Squadron Leader (I selfishly didn't offer that up, as I only have about three smokes of it left with none more on the way yet). After a bowl of BLWB and a couple of draws from my Squadron Leader he is hooked. Now I need to help him get a decent briar, maybe another MM cob, and some good starter tobacco.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've been the cause of the increase of pipesmokers where I work. Great feeling isn't it?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
If you must smoke, a pipe is most engaging. You do yourself a favor when you choose a pipe over any other form of tobacco consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.