PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Good evening all.

I posted the other day of a 20 something yr old tin of A&C Petersen Caledonian I found tucked away, and I said when I got my recently purchased estate pipe in the mail, I'd pop that tin and see what lies beneath and share with yall. Well, I got my pipe in today (Thanks SP!). It's a dandy. It's a group 4 size, Author-like "83" Rhodesian, 1977 Dunhill Bruyere (The year I graduated from High School at New Mexico Military Institute).

So here's some pics of the experience for your enjoyment

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

In conclusion, I note the following...

In popping the tin open there was no release of a vacuum sound, much to my dismay.
The flakes were on the dry side, but not entirely crumbly mummy dust.
The taste was on the flat side and pretty much um, uninteresting. Like a dry tasting hay.
I plan to do a slow rehydration over the next several days and try another bowl.
The pipe smoked wonderfully, and I followed that bowl up with another of Cooper and it smoked delightfully. Very pleased with the pipe.
Finally, I'm sorry about the out of focus pics. damit, it looked in focus with I took the pic!

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
Good evening all.

I posted the other day of a 20 something yr old tin of A&C Petersen Caledonian I found tucked away, and I said when I got my recently purchased estate pipe in the mail, I'd pop that tin and see what lies beneath and share with yall. Well, I got my pipe in today (Thanks SP!). It's a dandy. It's a group 4 size, Author-like "83" Rhodesian, 1977 Dunhill Bruyere (The year I graduated from High School at New Mexico Military Institute).

So here's some pics of the experience for your enjoyment

View attachment 121736

View attachment 121738

View attachment 121739

View attachment 121740

View attachment 121743

View attachment 121744

In conclusion, I note the following...

In popping the tin open there was no release of a vacuum sound, much to my dismay.
The flakes were on the dry side, but not entirely crumbly mummy dust.
The taste was on the flat side and pretty much um, uninteresting. Like a dry tasting hay.
I plan to do a slow rehydration over the next several days and try another bowl.
The pipe smoked wonderfully, and I followed that bowl up with another of Cooper and it smoked delightfully. Very pleased with the pipe.
Finally, I'm sorry about the out of focus pics. damit, it looked in focus with I took the pic!
Well at least you have that great pipe though!