Funkensteen, my latest Bamboo Abomination:
5IJmAvm.jpg

oolhzYo.jpg

89e6N0o.jpg

XzdK4uf.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Uh oh, looks like we are witnessing the second coming of Olie Sylvester! :mrgreen:

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
Ken. When one discovers what a dremel and a cutting wheel is for. :)

Small details are burned in via an Eagle torch lighter, (love those things).
Mayfair70. Agree. The bolts speak.
I'm not sure whether to smoke it, sell it or put it in the display case. It's a monster.

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
Chasing. I had to google Olie, you're too kind! Not sure what I was smoking when building it, but I'll grab another bowl and stare at it some more. :)

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
Chasing. I have yet to smoke a briar to compare. However, it's smokes dry and does not alter the flavor, nor take up the essence of tobacco, (if that makes sense). It does get hot on the draw, but quickly cools. From what I gather or read, it might behave like a Venturi or "the pipe", without getting wet or gurgling? I'm tempted to order a copy of "the pipe" to know for sure.

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
I might add that I have two examples that are double walled (slide a smaller tube inside), and one that is thick walled and these burn cooler.
The Double walled one:
tSxgA9K.jpg

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
That gives a new meaning to smoking grass.

I am curious how long bamboo can hold an ember also. This 9X Bamboo Salt involves repeated firing of bamboo. So it may hold up well,and impart some healthful characteristics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jugyeom
I like the way the spring looks. Is it a re-purposed gun recoil spring?

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
didi, The double-walled example above has been been smoked, daily, going on two+ months now.
bright, LOL. Guess I've been smoking "grass" legally, then. :0)
Thanks for the link. Very interesting. Learning more about this wonderful, natural resource. I was concerned that at least the node wall, which is the bottom of the bowl and get's burned, would quickly burn through as it's softer material. Not so. Care must be taken when scraping. I use a bamboo shard to clean it out, then I remove the filter from the stem, point the pipe over the trash can and blow forcefully through the stem to clear the holes in the bottom. Two months of this and no issues.
I also plug the bottom chamber with a disk of willow, a soft, non-toxic wood. I tap it in there with a finishing hammer, the bamboo will stretch to accommodate and creates an airtight fit. This can easily be removed by running a wire, from a coat hanger, through one of the holes at the bottom of the burn chamber, for cleaning.
All my gun springs are still in use. You can buy generic springs in bunches at the local hardware store.

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
Al, LOL.
Oddly enough, I was listening to Gregorian Monk Chants in the background while building it. Should I check myself in?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wild and funky, steam punk meets Ace Hardware...meets burnt etching. Artfully done in an edgy way.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Very nice, very nice indeed ... how long does it take to smoke? The bowl looks huge !!! Loving the steam punk theme by the way :puffpipe:

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
steam punk meets Ace Hardware
LOL.
Madox, I'm not sure how long it would take. Probably should ready an oxygen tank and have a nurse on standby...
Kanaia. Smoke make Franky Happy. Frankly like smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.