PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
In the past few days in random parts of the internet, I've seen churchwardens referred to as a Gandalf, a wizard, a LotR, and a "really long pipe." WTF is up with that? I even saw a glass "long pipe" with lizard scales named Gandalf. :|
Anyways, I just called out about half a dozen posters on Reddit and I'm waiting for the negative karma to flow. It's just irresponsible in my mind to believe a style of pipe only exists because of a pop culture reference. Churchwardens were around a long time before Lord of the Rings. Yeah, it may be pedantic and anal... but it's a pet peeve. Anyways... /rant

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
Good for you. I'm all about making people aware and being made aware on any and all subjects. It's a shame that it takes a massive pop culture icon like LotR just to get pipes to the mainstream and when one does that's what most people will inevitably associate it with. Although I will say that if you're on reddit you're kind of asking for it IMHO ;)

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
If it is true and right, is it still a rant?
rant 

verb (used without object)

1. to speak or declaim extravagantly or violently; talk in a wild or vehement way; rave: The demagogue ranted for hours.

verb (used with object)

2. to utter or declaim in a ranting manner.
noun

3. ranting, extravagant, or violent declamation.

4. a ranting utterance.
Yup. Cyndi is entitled to rant.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
When I refer to my MacQueen churchwarden as a "MacQueen Wizard" I do so because thats the model name the company gave it.

sfexeter

Lurker
Dec 3, 2011
I thought we were talking about a Harry Potter thing... So +1 on the no Lord of the Rings viewership...

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I bought a Brebbia churchwarden online in 2001 for $25.00. Thanks to those damned Lord of the Rings films, it is hard to find one for under a hundred bucks. Damned hobbits! :puffy:

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Reddit. My at-work entertainment. :lol:
They are definitely churchwardens to me too.

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
I am not one to call a churchwarden a gandauff but traditionally this is how things come to be called by specific name like a Churchill. I don't really see anything wrong with it its just what people do but I understand your POV too.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I am not one to call a churchwarden a gandauff but traditionally this is how things come to be called by specific name like a Churchill
A Churchill, though, is a specific size of cigar that was first made for Winston Churchill, IIRC. Likewise the cigar size not called a robusto used to be called a Rothschild, because it was first made for the French banker by that name. (I think he was French.) Those were not cigars that were renamed; they were new sizes.

deleon

Nov 7, 2011
Texas
Funny how so many people try to make a quick buck using a movie to sell a pipe to someone who doesn't know how long churchwarden have been around. Anything for marketing to make the sale.... so sad

Jul 15, 2011
A buddy of mine who is a little, shall we say, left of center, contacted me some time ago after seeing my youtube channel. He tried smoking a pipe with me right after we got out of high school but he never stuck with it. When he contacted me, he said, "I haven't smoked a pipe in years. You know where I can get one fairly cheap?" I says to him, "I've got several laying around that I just refurbished. I'd sell you one cheap if you want to swing by and take a look at what I have some time." First words out of his mouth were, "Do you either have an obnoxiously large white pipe like the one in Inglorious Basterds or a long, white, Gandalf pipe?" I told him, "Those are called Calabashes and Churchwardens, and I don't own either." He says, "They're called WHAT?!" I just laughed and shook my head.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
I visited my local tobacco shop earlier this week and noticed a display case with several new church wardens. I joked to the proprietor that it appears he's trying to attract the hobbit demographic. He told me that he'd brought the pipes in at the request of several adult LoTR fans who had never before smoked a pipe. I say if it expands the base of pipe smokers, welcome aboard.

frennchy11

Dec 28, 2011
I just got a Macqueen Wizard for Christmas, but i only refer to it as a "Wizard" pipe for those who dont know what a churchwarden is.

Status
Not open for further replies.