PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I thought the episode was a tour de force in comedy writing and acting, and at the same time, I thought it ultimately failed as comedy. It was funny but also distinctly hurtful in the way of depicting family abusiveness around the holidays. Seinfeld relied on skating just at the surface of human defects. The characters were deficient but seemingly forgivable. But Festivus is unforgettable for people who watch, or have watched, the show. Archie Bunker in a different sitcom always managed to show a glimmer of humanity while being sometimes despicable. He succeeded in that whereas George's dad sometimes didn't.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I thought the episode was a tour de force in comedy writing and acting, and at the same time, I thought it ultimately failed as comedy. It was funny but also distinctly hurtful in the way of depicting family abusiveness around the holidays. Seinfeld relied on skating just at the surface of human defects. The characters were deficient but seemingly forgivable. But Festivus is unforgettable for people who watch, or have watched, the show. Archie Bunker in a different sitcom always managed to show a glimmer of humanity while being sometimes despicable. He succeeded in that whereas George's dad sometimes didn't.
The selfishness of the characters is an integral part of the Seinfeld world... and part of its comedy.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The selfishness of the characters is an integral part of the Seinfeld world... and part of its comedy.

Absolutely.

It held a certain type of mirror up to human nature...and especially modern society.

A lot of people didn't like the show's finale...but I thought it was the perfect ending to it all...took it to its logical ultimate conclusion.

Reactions: Bowie and scloyd
Status
Not open for further replies.