PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
I live in Canada, and while it's mostly a fantastic place, tobacco prices are easily 2/3rd higher than US prices. Happily, my parents took a short vacation into the US and I just returned from a week in San Diego. This has allowed me to splurge and add some quality tobacco to my cellar!

78Pe9JI.jpg

I also received a Longchamp pipe as a gift. A friend's father passed away and he had several pipes. She sold all but the one she gave me. I had met him a few times and he was a funny & vibrant man. I'm happy to have one of his pipes in my rotation.

4iCzFKo.jpg

J5zVDc2.jpg

It was a well kept pipe, and required just a basic clean and hand polish. I removed the stinger; it actually went into the bowl itself and there was no way a pipe cleaner would pass. I stored the stinger so as to not lose it, so it can be easily returned for packing/long term storage in the future.

lumberjakpipester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2012
I love that longchamp, it's in immaculate condition! I actually smoke them often, I got a 7-day set from a friend a while ago, and they all smoke terrific. Nice tobacco score too!

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Three Oaks Syrian I'm pretty sure.
Got some mighty fine blends there cgrd!

graywizard

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2013
wow - thanks does anyone know what it tastes and smells like? anything to refer it to?

ebag

Might Stick Around
Feb 16, 2013
San Diego, eh? What B&M did you go to? Since I live here.
Other than that that is a nice haul. Good time to store up.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Nice haul! Enjoy. And I love the pipe, by the way. I've fixed up a few of those and always promised myself one one of these days.

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Thanks guys!
graywizard - 3 Oaks Syrian; here's the tin description "Rare Syrian Latakia, with its renowned mellow smokiness, is balanced with natural sweet Oriental tobaccos and aged Virginia leaf to create a satisfying blend reminiscent of classic Syrian Latakia blends of old." I love it, sweet, tangy, smokey with hints of leather. In my opinion, you can't go wrong!
peckinpahhombre - It is indeed wrapped in leather. It's briar under the leather though.
ebag - I went to Racine & Laramie in Old Town (just off the Green Line). It's a fantastic little shop with a pipe museum in it. They had a very large selection of tins and decent selection of bulks. The clerks kept to themselves until I made it clear I wanted to buy something, but that's sometimes a good thing. I also think you can smoke in the shop which I understand is a rarity.
I also checked out Captain Hunts Tobacconist. It's the home of the San Diego Pipe Club (Wednesday nights). Very limited selection of tins, a large selection of bulk and a nice selection of pipes. It was super busy when I was there though, and the shop is the size of a walk in closet :) I didn't hang out too long.

ebag

Might Stick Around
Feb 16, 2013
Racine & Laramie is my local B&M that I go to more often than not. Also, yes, you can smoke in the shop. They have a little backroom where they light up and enjoy some conversation.
Though, I didn't know that Captain Hunts was SD's pipe club home. Now I definitely have to go out to it whenever I'm not working too hard. So, now that I've learned something new that's always a plus.
Hope you enjoyed your stay out in my neck of the woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.