PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniele Pipa

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2019
So leaving the EU will (I’m sure it’s more complicated than this) make it harder to get foreign tobacco?
the parliament has time until October 31 to prepare negotiations (or to regulate all the laws that change with respect to the EU) if they do not (as it seems to be) there will be great legal problems on everything. all EU laws will not apply in England. therefore also those on tobacco. it is likely that English tobaccos will no longer be sold in Europe

Reactions: perdurabo
Jun 9, 2018
England
So leaving the EU will (I’m sure it’s more complicated than this) make it harder to get foreign tobacco?

It depends what you mean by 'foreign', you are only supposed to be able to buy tobacco from another EU member if the relevant taxes for the destination country are charged by the shop you are buying from BEFORE the tobacco is sent. In reality they just send the tobacco without taxing it which means it's about a 1/3 or more cheaper, the downside is (I believe) if customs intercept the parcel then they will just destroy it and you'll probably get a snotty letter telling you not to do it again. How leaving the EU (if we ever do!) affects this I've no idea, I know if we leave without a deal we go to WTO rules with different amounts of tax for different products but how much that would be for tobacco I don't know.
Outside the EU is a different kettle of fish, I've ordered from the US a number of times and Smokingpipes.com fill out a customs declaration which states what's in the parcel. When it arrives on British soil it goes into the black hole that is customs & excise and you just have to wait for them to get round to adding on the various taxes, they even tax the postage which caught me out the first time I ordered.
Long story short it pretty much doubles the price, an example would be Campaign Dark Flake which cost me £18 or about $22, but at least you can buy tobacco from America whereas UK shops won't ship to the US. I wouldn't have thought BREXIT would affect purchasing from the US as it's outside the EU.
This is why I've been building a cellar of foreign tobacco as quickly as I can so when it all goes tits up I've got a good selection to choose from, you have to remember the choice in England is MUCH less than the US and is maybe 250 blends or so, luckily there's a core of great things due to Gawith & Germains but the overall choice is nowhere near what's available in America.
I'm sure it's only a matter of time before either the UK bans all internet tobacco sales or the courier service/post office stop transporting tobacco products or the credit card companies refuse to process payments for tobacco so I'm getting what I can when I can as one or all of those things are bound to pass eventually what with the current anti-tobacco society we live in.

Chris.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
It depends what you mean by 'foreign', you are only supposed to be able to buy tobacco from another EU member if the relevant taxes for the destination country are charged by the shop you are buying from BEFORE the tobacco is sent. In reality they just send the tobacco without taxing it which means it's about a 1/3 or more cheaper, the downside is (I believe) if customs intercept the parcel then they will just destroy it and you'll probably get a snotty letter telling you not to do it again. How leaving the EU (if we ever do!) affects this I've no idea, I know if we leave without a deal we go to WTO rules with different amounts of tax for different products but how much that would be for tobacco I don't know.
Outside the EU is a different kettle of fish, I've ordered from the US a number of times and Smokingpipes.com fill out a customs declaration which states what's in the parcel. When it arrives on British soil it goes into the black hole that is customs & excise and you just have to wait for them to get round to adding on the various taxes, they even tax the postage which caught me out the first time I ordered.
Long story short it pretty much doubles the price, an example would be Campaign Dark Flake which cost me £18 or about $22, but at least you can buy tobacco from America whereas UK shops won't ship to the US. I wouldn't have thought BREXIT would affect purchasing from the US as it's outside the EU.
This is why I've been building a cellar of foreign tobacco as quickly as I can so when it all goes tits up I've got a good selection to choose from, you have to remember the choice in England is MUCH less than the US and is maybe 250 blends or so, luckily there's a core of great things due to Gawith & Germains but the overall choice is nowhere near what's available in America.
I'm sure it's only a matter of time before either the UK bans all internet tobacco sales or the courier service/post office stop transporting tobacco products or the credit card companies refuse to process payments for tobacco so I'm getting what I can when I can as one or all of those things are bound to pass eventually what with the current anti-tobacco society we live in.

Chris.
Perhaps or the us and uk build a stronger bond and set up better deals for taxation. However, the UK and EU will still have issues with Brexit.

It's a mess as usual...

Jun 9, 2018
England
Perhaps or the us and uk build a stronger bond and set up better deals for taxation. However, the UK and EU will still have issues with Brexit.

It's a mess as usual...

That would be cool and we might even get some of the Cornell & Diehl blends which aren't available over here, I won't hold my breath though.
Like you say it is indeed one massive bollocks up of epic proportions.

Chris.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
In case if UK leaves EU without any deal /agreement it is very likely that all consumer goods, garments,Tobacco products , alcohols etcetera are subject to added sales taxes once those good enter the EU zone , and vice versa, which means If a pair of English made shoes cost say $ 200 as of now, after the Brexit with no deal has come true that pair of shoes will likely cost something like $ 250 or even more

Status
Not open for further replies.