PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I'm combing some eItalian sites. Does anyone have experience with these makes?

Santambrogio

Pascucci

Manelli

Armellini
I've seen Santambrogio and Armellini on a lot of German sites, not Pascucci or Manelli.

Some are looking pretty nice! More Santambrogios are calling me than others, Manelli seems a bargain pricewise.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Thanks for the steer, they have a great selection! (like I need more) I’m always looking for some reason, usually Alpascia, lepipe and pipe-24. Esterval’s pipe house sometimes, usually tobacco there.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've had two Armellini pipes in the past. Nice looking, but both had a fairly restricted draw for some reason. On the other hand, I've gotten Verona, and Napoli pipes made by Armellini for Tinder Box stores and they smoked great! I still have a Verona and smoke it regularly. Sorry, I can't help on the other brands.

swan

Lurker
Dec 9, 2018
NYC
Hello,
some of those are actually quite well established and very good brands:
- Santambrogio is one of the oldest Italian brands, the current pipemaker Stefano Santambrogio is the last of a third generation family business founded in 1912

I think he makes very nice pipes for the price they are listed for, and I personally like their rustication. I have a couple of them and are great smoker, for the price point a great way for starters. And probably after Stefano there will not be any other Santambrogio making pipes...
- Pascucci, there are actually 2 Pascuccis. You are probably referring to Mario Pascucci, he has been a leading pipemaker at Mastro De Paja for over 30 years. After retiring he decided to create his own brand. So his style is the classic Pesaro school style and very well made pipes overall. The other PAscucci is Andrea, also from the Pesaro school, he has been working for L'anatra and he recently took over the Fiamma Di Re brand
I have never heard of Manelli. It is probably a sub brand as they seem pretty cheap entry level pipes, I'd totally look elsewhere.
Armellini is another established brand, started by Mauro Armellini in the 60s and took over by his daughter Vilma after he passed away. Currently Vilma is producing pipes with his son.
Hope this helps!

Reactions: dmcmtk

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Thanks Swan, you gave me the courage to order a Pascucci.

VY9xVPt.png

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I used to have an Tinderbox "Verona" that was made by Armellini. The finish was a VERY close rendition of the now gone Corallo di Mare finish by Savinelli. It was a great smoking pipe, but was a little heavy for my tastes, so I sold it off. But it was a great smoker and well crafted. I had no complaints with it.

Reactions: Dandy Pipesmoker
Status
Not open for further replies.