It may be a "drugstore" pipe,but she's a keeper...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
Picked up an LHS "Certified Purex" #88 Bulldog for #20 today. I'm breaking her in with some Squadron Leader, and I must say....even though she might be considered a "cheapie," she is an excellent smoker....cool, nice draw, and like all bulldogs, a great gripper. I'm glad she found a new home!
image25-600x450.jpg

image26-600x450.jpg

image27-600x450.jpg

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
It's a beauty. And LHS pipes were slightly above "drugstore" pipes. If you ever tire of it, let me know. I have a LHS "Bavarian" (Cavalier)it would look good next to.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We need a better name for pipes that are made on a production line. Not all drugstore pipes are sold in drugstores,

and those that were are often excellent smoking machines. Many pipes made by carvers are produced partly by

machines, so machine pipes isn't the right term. There are distinct advantages to the production line pipes (not

a great term either, by the way). The specifications can be perfected, and quality control is relatively easy. There

are a lot of pairs of eyes and hands contributing to the process and controlling the outcome. Despite many feelings

to the contrary, Kaywoodie, Dr. Grabow, Yello-Bole, Medico and similar outfits still produce some worthy pipes. I own

a number of hand carved pipes and quite a few quality pipe shop pipes, but some of of my good ones are working man's

pipes, not expensive but anything but cheap.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I really don't know much about that brand, but I do like the looks, and have found that some of these old non- high grade pipes smoke really well and have great briar too!

Hey, I'm all about the low grade pipe adventure! Congrats on a really cool old pipe!

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
From what I can gather, LHS was the largest supplier to WWII soldiers. Wish I knew more about the specific history of this particular pipe.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
You are correct, ranger. The L&H Stern co. was in business from 1896 through the early 1960's. Their pipes were sold through PX's to the armed services.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Ranger:
LHS was one of the better production pipe lines in the U.S. You found a great looking chunk of vintage briar from one of our venerable pipe companies, sadly long gone. It might've been sold in a drugstore but the buyer certainly paid more than the Sparta manufactured Willard.
Speaking of PX's, John, Willard burners were the number one pipe sold in base exchanges during our involvement in French Indochina. I've met several Vietnam vets who've shown me their putty spackled Willards still tucked away as treasured keepsakes. Several admitted their pipes never burned tobacco and I would just nod my head.
Ranger, one of these days treat yourself to a Weber or Ehrlich burner - two more great lines I put up there right alongside your new LHS. They're also production pipes that were made with extra care and can be bought for a song on the Bay. Also, every now and again, you can find a Diebel Benchmade from Kansas City that will have a razor blade mouthpiece and will end up knocking a favorite burner out of your weekly rotation.
Great pick, pal.
Fnord

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
LHS Purex and Superfine is one of my saved searches on ebay! I have three of them now and they all get their turn in the rotation. I would have been excited to have won one like yours.

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
I have a little LHS Purex also, nice smoker. Didn't know they were considered to be equal to drug store pipe or just above. You would never know by smoking them. I don't know if I have a 'special' one but it's a good quality pipe. Smokes great, it has one of those stingers that can't be removed from the tenon. I could cut it off but it smokes well with it and the draw is good.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congrats - that's a fine looking pipe. I was fortunate enough to snag an unsmoked late '60s Grabow (another drug store pipe) seen here:
grabow2.jpg

This pipe smokes incredibly well, believe it or not, as well as my pipes in the $200 range. The briar is exceptional. The pipe itself isn't tops in construction - but it's still a great smoker.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I don't care how much a pipe cost, or it's pedigree. I like the looks of your bulldog and hope you smoke it in good health for many years to come. Enjoy!

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I'm on the lookout for a Bulldog myself, straight or half-bent. I would've snapped that up in a hurry.
Really nice pipe, and it seems you got a lot more than you bargained for.
Super Congrats!

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
Good find. I certainly enjoy my bulldogs, they feel comfortable in the hand as well. Happy smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.