PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Collector or hobbyist / smoker? This year I have been fortunate enough to have acquired some old British pipes that, I believe, any serious collector would gladly add, namely two Sasieni One Dot Patents (one a "Specially Selected") and an unsmoked, NOS Sasieni Four Dot Walnut "Appleby". I have a few more Four Dots, but none unsmoked. These three pipes, however, have me wondering whether I should use them as the basis of a serious collection, in which case they will no longer be smoked and the Appleby will remain unsmoked, or enjoy them the way they were meant to be enjoyed. I am leaning toward the later, though it feels almost "dirty" to consider torching an unsmoked example of pipe history. Anyone know what I mean? Am I just odd? Anyway, here is the latest for your perusal.
Tim
MpRcwCa.jpg

qjdfoRM.jpg

RhhwZ7v.jpg

Nai3WVl.jpg

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
I think they would be sad if you didn't smoke them. Pipes are happy when they are being used!
Absolutely stunning BTW.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I lean more towards the "use" side of things. They were crafted to be smoked. I say smoke them and enjoy smoking something that not too many other people could have the luxury of enjoying! I mean, some collections are meant to be enjoyed by more than looking at, in my opinion. It's a great looking little pipe, though!

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
My $0.02....
A well made pipe, properly maintained will last 75 years or more. I'm 61 years old. You do the math, but what's left of my life is way too short to not enjoy a pipe as it was intended to be enjoyed.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
If it was me, I'd smoke them. I don't have that kind of self-control not to smoke them.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
It is possible to smoke a pipe without destroying it. It's up to you. I would smoke it, but I'm not a collector of anything. If you are a collector, collect. If not, don't.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
First off...you are a smoker...second...you have some nice pipes. What is the point of having it? I say smoke it in rude good health.
I'm 76 and not getting any younger...I smoke my pipes because I love them...if you are a smoker, than smoke em.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Lol! Okay, I've heard from the smoker/hobbyists! Thank you! Now, I'd like to hear from the collectors out there. So, you serious collectors, do you smoke your collectable pipes?

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
There is no hurry to devirginse the Appleby, as for the others, they have already been driven off the lot, so you shouldn’t feel guilty for smoking them.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
There is no hurry to devirginse the Appleby, as for the others, they have already been driven off the lot, so you shouldn’t feel guilty for smoking them.

Great point!
I have few unsmoked pipes. I believe two right now. I tend to enjoy them for a little while by looking at them, and then smoke them.

I think I like this idea. I've never owned a pipe I didn't smoke. I don't think I have the makings of a serious collector in me. Too hard to resist!

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I have several unsmoked pipes, nothing high end but collectable just the same. It wouldn't be a big deal to start smoking them but I've enough pipes to smoke, some regularly, some rarely, that it doesn't matter enough to even think of it. You can always decide to smoke them at a later date.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
One thing to consider is; if the pipe is just a nice pipe to you, but it is valuable in its unsmoked condition, would you consider selling it and buying a replacement pipe? (and pocketing the rest?)
that said, I'd smoke it like it was intended!

Status
Not open for further replies.