PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sailingtiger

Lurker
May 30, 2022
I am a big smoker and have tried them all and pitbarrel is the best, old school, you hang meat over charcoal. I do a lot of pork butts and they are better than any I have had. Secret is after you get meat to 160 degrees, wrap tightly in foil with a little apple cider, or beer and cook until abou 190 degrees. You can put in an ice chest for an hour and it’s magnificent. Ribs yes and chicken to die for, turkey also.
cheers

Sailingtiger

Lurker
May 30, 2022
Karam, Weber Smokey is lovely, nothing wrong with it, does a fine job. Pitbarrel is not technically a smoker, it's a cooker, best of both worlds. Aces is correct, you can put a lot of meat on it, I paid $299 10 years ago still going strong, up to $399 due to inflation. Good thing about pitbarrel is you light and walk away, dumbass like me can make amazing smoked meats.
Cheers

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Karam, Weber Smokey is lovely, nothing wrong with it, does a fine job. Pitbarrel is not technically a smoker, it's a cooker, best of both worlds. Aces is correct, you can put a lot of meat on it, I paid $299 10 years ago still going strong, up to $399 due to inflation. Good thing about pitbarrel is you light and walk away, dumbass like me can make amazing smoked meats.
Cheers
Cheers.

I have a classic Weber Kettle for 10 years or more. My friends think I am a paid advocate of the thing, but I’ve done more successful cooks on it than I can count, including many many smokes with the snake method, and it only cost me 150 euros. It’s so versatile.
I have been looking for a while now and can’t decide. The offset smokers look damn nice but the cost (for a decent one) is quite large to justify how often I’d use it. I also like to grill vs BBQ so the offsets are out for that. I looked at the kamados and just can’t bring myself to be convinced about them.
My big beef of the whole grilling/BBQ scene is how expensive the peripherals are, especially some which dramatically improve practicality, like a hinged grate to put coals in mid cook (for the Kettle). It costs a third of the price of the whole thing, come on!
I looked at the premium package of the 18.5 pit barrel and it’s at $670, some of the stuff I don’t need (like gloves, tongs and cover), but the extra hooks and baskets look good to me and I’d like to have them. And that’s US prices, Europe is more expensive probably.

My Portuguese neighbour who also comes from a big meat grilling tradition uses a gas grill, he uses the damn thing 5 times per week, I know I wouldn’t do the same with the hassle of coal, but given I turn my nose up on gas grills despite knowing their value.

But yeah, the barrel pit looks really great, I may get it - issue is my building specifically mentions no coal grills…

Reactions: kurtbob

Sailingtiger

Lurker
May 30, 2022
So people who smoke and grill are passionate, as 10 people their opinion and you will get 12 answers. A Weber will do it all, a classic and you do not need to spend much money to smoke/grill.
like buying a car, do research, tons of great forums, utubes on smoking/grilling.
cheers

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
Cheers.

I have a classic Weber Kettle for 10 years or more. My friends think I am a paid advocate of the thing, but I’ve done more successful cooks on it than I can count, including many many smokes with the snake method, and it only cost me 150 euros. It’s so versatile.
I have been looking for a while now and can’t decide. The offset smokers look damn nice but the cost (for a decent one) is quite large to justify how often I’d use it. I also like to grill vs BBQ so the offsets are out for that. I looked at the kamados and just can’t bring myself to be convinced about them.
My big beef of the whole grilling/BBQ scene is how expensive the peripherals are, especially some which dramatically improve practicality, like a hinged grate to put coals in mid cook (for the Kettle). It costs a third of the price of the whole thing, come on!
I looked at the premium package of the 18.5 pit barrel and it’s at $670, some of the stuff I don’t need (like gloves, tongs and cover), but the extra hooks and baskets look good to me and I’d like to have them. And that’s US prices, Europe is more expensive probably.

My Portuguese neighbour who also comes from a big meat grilling tradition uses a gas grill, he uses the damn thing 5 times per week, I know I wouldn’t do the same with the hassle of coal, but given I turn my nose up on gas grills despite knowing their value.

But yeah, the barrel pit looks really great, I may get it - issue is my building specifically mentions no coal grills…
I have a Weber kettle also. Love it. I use it way more than the pit barrel. For longer cooks, though, I love the pit barrel. You can load it up with charcoal, and it’ll go for 8-10 hours without refueling.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Did a half Of baby back ribs in small insta pot with brown sugar , didn’t have pineapple so subed cherry juice, big cap full, cap of vinegar, wife checked at half point and realized meat side should have been down so she flipped it. When done it was really good, quick way for ribs.Salt and pepper was done also.

Reactions: AcesAndEights

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
So people who smoke and grill are passionate, as 10 people their opinion and you will get 12 answers. A Weber will do it all, a classic and you do not need to spend much money to smoke/grill.
like buying a car, do research, tons of great forums, utubes on smoking/grilling.
cheers
Yep, won’t do everything great, but the humble Kettle really can get the job done.

For faster cooks, say a 7 hour smoke I’d set it up very early in the morning, while for longer ones I’d set it up at midnight, both would have incredible smoked meat for lunchtime.

Amazingribs.com is my go to place for authoritative reviews and opinions.

Reactions: AcesAndEights