PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

popsmusix

Lurker
Feb 18, 2013
I have been having a hell of a time browsing Smokingpipes.com and their vast selection of pipes. I can go to the website, look at a few, (3-4 pages) worth of pipes and then...nothing. The images won't load. If I click on a pipe link, it goes to the description page, but no photos. I get a bunch of text that says "image not found" and then a whole string of HTML junk.
I am using the latest version of Firefox, I do have privacy extension employed, but I can disable those extensions and the site still doesn't work. I have contacted customer service a while back and they said they were not experiencing any problems with the website. I have even tried using Internet Explorer, but no, same thing.
Any ideas? I am tempted to look at other sites, but Smokingpipes has the best selection and the best price. So it seems to me.
Oh well, I may just have to live with it and visit them every summer when I am in the area.

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
Try re-booting your computer. That often corrects minor glitches that sometimes occur
Rich

4noggins.com

popsmusix

Lurker
Feb 18, 2013
Hmmm....interesting. I downloaded Chrome and just got through some extensive searching on Smokingpipes and everything was fine. I wonder what the problem is with Firefox.
4noggins, thanks for the advice. I did reboot and the website worked for a bit and then it happened again. Must be a problem with the browser.
Wait a minute, 4noggins...

Aug 1, 2012
I've had to uninstall and reinstall Firefox a couple times now. Seems it doesn't like being continually updated and could use a fresh install every once in a while. And yes, you can keep all you info when you do this.
Rich is a helluva guy and has a fantastic business. Not surprised he helped.

popsmusix

Lurker
Feb 18, 2013
Thank you for all the advice. I have performed all of it, with mixed results. Chrome seems to be working the best. I'm starting to think it just might be a combination of my computer itself, browsers, security programs and all the other stuff I have jammed into my hard drive.
On a side note, I have been checking out 4noggins and I will be using them on a future PAD/TAD

Jan 8, 2013
Firefox is slow as slow can be, I've found. I was using Opera, and when it got slow thought I'd try Firefox (because I had heard how "good" it was. No difference. Google Chrome is the way to go. Also, I've noticed, with a recent order from Smokingpipes that their photo process really washes out the pipes. I just got two pipes from them in the mail the other day, and they were considerably darker, although pleasantly so. I would take that into consideration when you order your pipe. They have a video on their page where you can watch the photo process. They use some really bright lights. When I ordered my pipes they were quite nice looking in the photo, but much much nicer in person. You couldn't see much grain in the Nording I purchased, and when I got it, it was quite a bit darker, and loaded with beautiful tight, straight grain. :)The order was processed and delivered within just a few days with standard shipping, and I appreciated the care they took in packaging. I will do business with them again. Just a little rambling note to add here... other than that, stick with google chrome. :)

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Running Firefox 19.0 with two script blockers (but scripts enabled for them) and no issues whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.