PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
Disclaimer: I've read through the explanations of rule 12 & I think this is in line. Apologies to the mods & the community if it isn't.

I had a problem with a pipe & I reported that to the seller, but I'm a little concerned about the solution they've proposed & I'd like a second opinion.

I won't name the seller or the brand, because it isn't fully resolved & both are super reputable, suffice to say that it was brand new.

Smoking it exposed a flaw in the chamber. It was the first time this had happened to me, but I understand that these things happen & that the maker can't always spot them. I certainly didn't when I was admiring it before lighting up.

I sent the pipe back at my own expense, as requested, & they've just got back to me with photographs of the pipe which has clearly had the chamber enlarged by a few millimeters.

The question they were asking was whether I wanted the chamber coated, but the photographs also showed a small pit in the 'fixed' chamber.

I thought this was a bit alarming & I've written back to say that. On consideration, given both of their reputations I'm wondering if that was a knee jerk reaction & I'm fussing over nothing...?

I'll shut up now & post some photograps, but I'd very much appreciate your thoughts.
Screenshot_20210306_021500_com.google.android.gm.jpg
Screenshot_20210306_021440_com.google.android.gm.jpg

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I would probably smoke it very gently to break it in and build a layer of cake and then not worry about it.

The flaw is quite small and the walls look robust and thick.

As stated above, if it’s a very high end pipe that is unacceptable but otherwise it probably will be fine.

If it’s really bothering you that may be a deal breaker for you but I don’t think it would be for me.

Unless it burned out then I’d be swearing like a drunken sailor and hopping mad, lol.

Toast

Feb 15, 2021
UK
Thanks, I really appreciate all your responses!

I'd say it was a high end pipe - Italian maker often mentioned as roughly equivalent in quality to Castello. Though certainly not the most expensive example of this brand's output (it cost about $280).

If it was NOS I'd use pipe mud & cross my fingers it didn't develop, but there's already been one flaw in a different part of the chamber...

Last edited:

Toast

Feb 15, 2021
UK
They bored it out?
Well, they said they cleaned it. But since the flaw the original smoke revealed was a couple of MM deep to touch after I'd wiped the inside down so it was clean, I have to assume they drilled or sanded the bowl back.

In fact they must have, to have exposed the new flaw. Then, English isn't their first langue, so I'm not going to get too hung up on that.

The original issue was pretty much impossible to photograph (for me anyway), which is why I was happy to send it back.

Bother it, I really liked the pipe! I'm not hugely impressed. I guess I'll sleep on it & see what they say.