PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
For the majority of classically shaped pipes (English, Italian, French) the upper part of the rack should be 5-6" from the lower. The hole for the stem should be 1". If you feel like carving out a dish for the bowl to rest in, I have found that an oval about 1" X 1 3/4" works well. Allow 2" 2 1/4" spaces between centers.

If you have Florovs, Hungarians, churchwardens, nose warmers, giant freehands, etc, it gets a lot harder

Reactions: romaso and Alejo R.

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
For the majority of classically shaped pipes (English, Italian, French) the upper part of the rack should be 5-6" from the lower. The hole for the stem should be 1". If you feel like carving out a dish for the bowl to rest in, I have found that an oval about 1" X 1 3/4" works well. Allow 2" 2 1/4" spaces between centers.

If you have Florovs, Hungarians, churchwardens, nose warmers, giant freehands, etc, it gets a lot harder
Thanks.
I have several pipe racks, so I can copy the shape and measurements needed to accommodate the pipes from there.
What I am looking for is to make a Pipe cabinet that can not only house the pipes, about 50, but also the tobacco and other accessories. .

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Paging @Morsoth , who built one of the nicest cabinets I've seen.

If you search his postings (there are only 12), you should be able to find the thread which may have contained blueprints. I'd post a link but my link-fu is weak.

Reactions: Alejo R.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most of the racks made by Forums members seem to originate from examining and measuring racks they have seen in person. If you are making a rack with glass or plastic door fronts, you might also want to have an open rack to accommodate churchwardens and/or any other longer stemmed pipes.

If you are just a few years into pipe smoking, you may want to build something a little larger than what you think you need. Pipes are like rabbits and tend to proliferate no matter how disciplined you are in your purchases.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I found a very nice rack on Etsy, holds ~36 pipes and has some room to store tobacco and what-not. Etsy may be worth a look for ideas, and you could suss out the measurements as they are pictured with a standard sized pipe or tins. Good luck,

Morsoth

Lurker
Feb 27, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, Canada
Paging @Morsoth , who built one of the nicest cabinets I've seen.

If you search his postings (there are only 12), you should be able to find the thread which may have contained blueprints. I'd post a link but my link-fu is weak.
That's nice! I mean, It's not perfect (I'm not a professional woodworker) but it looks rustic - which I love - and serves it's purpose! The cabinet is full of pipes (18) now. I have 6 regular pipes, 2 churchwardens, 4 clay pipes and 6 corn cobs. I should post a new picture soon!

Reactions: Scottmi

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
If you do buy a rack make sure you leave room for more pipes. It is weird how it fills up so quickly. I would recommend a 36 count with tinted glass doors and holes on the sides for the pipes to breath.
So true, I built a rack for 35 and have added a rack for 10, 6, 3, 2 and there is my first rack for 18 that now holds my cobs. A couple individual stands and somehow that still isn’t enough for the collection!

Reactions: Scottmi

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Most of the racks made by Forums members seem to originate from examining and measuring racks they have seen in person. If you are making a rack with glass or plastic door fronts, you might also want to have an open rack to accommodate churchwardens and/or any other longer stemmed pipes.

If you are just a few years into pipe smoking, you may want to build something a little larger than what you think you need. Pipes are like rabbits and tend to proliferate no matter how disciplined you are in your purchases.
I've been in pipes and tobacco for 2 long decades...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The current pipe count is over a hundred.....
I was up to 90 something pipes not long ago and decided to do a major culling. I had my 36 count rack. A cool 15 pipe rack with glass doors. Then I had all the 6 pipe holders. The round mostly and I had pipes all over. I had a 12 count rack that sat on top of my 36 count.
Now I have my 36 count full of course and one round 6 pipe holder and a few meers in their cases. Anything that was not a killer smoker got sold. My 36 count is mostly filled with Rad Davis and Jack Howell pipes. The only pipes I have bought in the last year or so are 13 commissions with Jack. I have that 15 count rack empty and calling me, telling me it needs filling but so far I have had deaf ears to it. I look at pipes daily but so far nothing has peaked my interest.